[Vision2020] Bogus poll

Tom Trail ttrail@moscow.com
Wed, 19 May 2004 16:33:25 -0700

Visionaries:  I received several calls about this poll, and then yesterday
my wife received the same polling call.

The first question that comes forth is, "Did you know that Sen. Schroeder
voted for a 4 cent a gallon tax increase?  What is your opinion?
The Idahoans for Tax Reform try to implicate Sen. Schroeder as a major cause of
the recent increase in gas prices.  The real context is that during the 1997
legislative session (after the floods in N. Idaho had destroyed many of our
roads) Republican Gov. Phil Batt (at some political risk) pushed for the
4 cent a gallon increase.  The bill passed and the majority of N.
Idaho legislators both Republican and Democrat voted for the measure.
I believe that
there was a matching component to qualify for the funds from the county level.
N. Idaho benefitted by almost $10 million and it was a great help to fix up our
road infrastructure.  We also received significant federal aid as well.

It would be interesting to hear Gregg Vance's comments in regard to how
decitful these types of polls are  and which are also incorportated into his
radio ads.  Sen. Schroeder has on occasion voted against tax increases but
his opponent (s) would not acknowledge this fact.

Tom Trail
--
Dr. Tom Trail
International Trails