[Vision2020] It is a matter of trust?

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Wed, 19 May 2004 16:22:24 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C43DBD.77DCF860

Pat writes:

>So, once again Kerry waffles.

No, once again Kraut baffles.

Let me get this straight: in your view, offering complex answers to compl=
ex questions is waffling.  So, is offering a simple answer to a complex q=
uestion by any chance simple-minded?  =20

Keely Mix has already explained to you (with an elegance and patience I'm=
 too jaded to emulate) the difference between the fundamental tenets of t=
he Christian faith and the current political positions that the Catholic =
hierarchy has chosen to adopt.  Like it or not, the Catholic Church's pos=
itions do change over time.  If they didn't, Gallileo would still be wron=
g, the earth would still be flat, and priests would still be allowed to m=
arry.  If you compare the modern Catholic Church with its medieval ancest=
or, you'll find that the old gray mare, she ain't what she used to be.  N=
ow, I'm not suggesting that the Church will ever change its collective mi=
nd on the subject of abortion, but is abortion the single defining issue =
of Catholicism?  What is it, exactly, that makes a Catholic?  Can you boi=
l it all down to Roe versus Wade?

I have the good fortune to count among my friends many devout Catholics. =
 Some are pro-choice, some are anti-abortion, but all are thoughtful, rea=
sonable people of good conscience.  It's entirely possible to mix devout =
belief with critical thought, but that I'm afraid that means that you won=
't be marching in lock-step with the Church hierarchy.  Perhaps you'll si=
n and fall short of the glory of God, but, luckily for Christians, there'=
s a little thing called grace.

At the risk of repeating myself, can Pat or anyone else answer the questi=
on I asked in my earlier post: does George Bush's support for the death p=
enalty conflict in any way with Methodist doctrine?  And, while I'm at it=
, how was his decision to make war on Iraq consistent with Christ's teach=
ing?  Mr. Bush makes much of the fact that he's a devout Christian.  Far =
be it from me to doubt the sincerity of his belief, but having espoused h=
is Christianity so loudly, so frequently, and so publicly, how is he meas=
uring up on the striving-to-be-Christ-like scale?

Then again, do we really want to judge one another's religious devotion? =
 How close do any of us come to matching doctrine with deed?  I don't eat=
 pork and I try to avoid mixing milk and meat, but I've never kicked the =
shellfish habit.  As a Jew, I can only hope that God is as flexible as Ma=
ry Lou Retton.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment  =20

----- Original Message ----- =20