[Vision2020] It is a matter of trust?

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Wed, 19 May 2004 10:05:28 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C43D88.CFB94A50

Pat writes:

>I have also heard that Catholics all have sex with the priest in the con=
fessional...but I have no evidence of it myself. It >curious to me that e=
very email that responded to this completely ignored the part about Kerry=
 and the other politicians >and their voting records that are opposite of=
 the tenets of the church. Thats what my email was really about.

Consider this -- Kerry's pro-choice stance on abortion conflicts with Cat=
holic doctrine, but his opposition to the death penalty is in perfect har=
mony with the Church's teaching.  So, if Kerry is not obedient to the Chu=
rch on all points of doctrine, is it necessarily the case that he is in u=
tter conflict?  Or, as you seem to suggest, a hypocrite?  Could it be tha=
t Kerry, like the rest of us, makes difficult and nuanced decisions accor=
ding to his conscience?  And here's another point to consider: is opposit=
ion to abortion more important to the Catholic Church than opposition to =
the death penalty?  I have read nothing to indicate that Catholic bishops=
 are considering withholding the sacrament of communion from pro-death pe=
nalty politicians and parishioners.  =20

George Bush is anti-choice, pro-death penalty, and Methodist.  Where does=
 the Methodist Church come down on these issues?  Is Mr. Bush in any way =
in conflict with his church's teachings?

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment

PS: The Catholic Church strongly opposed the war in Iraq.  How many Catho=
lic politicians -- or, for that matter, Catholics generally -- followed t=
he Pope's lead on that issue? =20
 Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn=
com

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C43D88.CFB94A50

<HTML><BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#ffffff" STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;b=
ackground-color:#ffffff; "><DIV>Pat writes:</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial=
></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial>&gt;I have also heard that C=
atholics all have sex with the priest in the confessional...but I have no=
 evidence of it myself. It &gt;curious to me that every email that respon=
ded to this completely ignored the part about Kerry and the other politic=
ians &gt;and their voting records that are opposite of the tenets of the =
church. Thats what my email was really about.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT fac=
e=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>=
 <DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Consider this -- Kerry's pro-choice stance on ab=
ortion conflicts with Catholic doctrine, but his opposition to the death =
penalty is in perfect harmony with the Church's teaching.&nbsp; So, if Ke=
rry is not obedient to the Church on all points of doctrine, is it necess=
arily the case that he is in utter conflict?&nbsp; Or, as you seem to sug=
gest, a hypocrite?&nbsp; Could it be that Kerry,&nbsp;like the rest of us=
,&nbsp;makes difficult and nuanced decisions according to&nbsp;his&nbsp;c=
onscience?&nbsp; And here's another point to consider: is opposition to a=
bortion more important to the Catholic Church than opposition to the deat=
h penalty?&nbsp;&nbsp;I have read nothing to indicate that Catholic bisho=
ps are considering withholding the sacrament of communion from pro-death =
penalty&nbsp;politicians and parishioners.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT=
 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial>George Bush is =
anti-choice, pro-death penalty, and&nbsp;Methodist.&nbsp; Where&nbsp;does=
 the Methodist Church come down on these issues?&nbsp; Is&nbsp;Mr. Bush i=
n any way in conflict with his church's teachings?</FONT></DIV> <DIV>&nbs=
p;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment</FONT></D=
IV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial>PS: The Catholic Church str=
ongly&nbsp;opposed the war in Iraq.&nbsp;&nbsp;How many Catholic politici=
ans -- or, for that matter,&nbsp;Catholics generally -- followed the Pope=
's lead on that issue?</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>=

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C43D88.CFB94A50--