[Vision2020] Is this Fair???

thansen@moscow.com thansen@moscow.com
Tue, 11 May 2004 23:14:58 GMT

Not only is the lack of leadership (pronounced "command") cited on vairous news
service wires, but several times today during an Senate Armed Services
Subcommittee's hearing today.

I will agree that "shoving a light stick up someone's rectum" was not due to a
lack of training or experience.  But, as I mentioned on an earlier posting, it
is due to a severe lack of supervision (pronounced "corrupt command").

Whenever you combine lack of training (these soldiers were not sufficently
trained for what they were assigned to do), lack of experience (this was their
first of this type assignment), and lack of supervision (again, command) in a
hostile environment all HELL can break loose (and it did according to several
accounts).

All this could have been averted had the chain of command recognized the
problem alot earlier, and they were aware as stated by BG Karpinski, and either
taken action to correct the problem or requested assistance from a higher
commander.

And I NEVER said that the officers were not at fault.  Quite the contrary.  I
am afraid that punishment imposed against officers will not amount to more than
the letter of reprimand.  Those in command that fail to exercise it properly
are just as guilty as those soldiers in the photos.

Enough said.

Pro patria,

Tom
Hansen