[Vision2020] "Commissioners Adjust Tax Exemptions for Moscow Church "

Saundra Lund sslund@adelphia.net
Tue, 4 May 2004 17:56:54 -0700

At a time when the rest of us could be facing significantly increased
property taxes, I was particularly interested in the BOE's (made up of our
county commissioners) decisions yesterday.  The following article appeared
in today's Daily News on page 2A:

"Commissioners adjust tax exemptions for Moscow church

Hillary Hamm

Latah County commissioners approved an increase in the amount of tax-exempt
property for Christ Church and New St. Andrews College Monday.

Representatives from the church and college met with commissioners, who sat
as the Board of Equalization, to discuss further property-tax exemptions for
the downtown Moscow buildings.

Gregory Dickison, attorney for Christ Church, requested that the board
change the rate of exemption because of recent reallotments of both church
offices and college space.  Some areas that were once rented out, are no
longer, freeing up more space for church activities.

Dickison would not comments to the Daily News.

He asked that the college, located on Main Street, change from 89 percent to
88.91 percent exempt, while church office space on Fifth Street would
increase from 81 percent to 92 percent exempt.

Assessor Steve Fiscus said Christ Church and New St. Andrews are exempt
under state law, which allows churches and education facilities not to pay
property taxes on their buildings and land.  But any time there are changes
made to a tax-exempt property, the owner must meet with the Board of
Equalization.

Zumé Bakery and Cafe, located in the college building is taxable property,
as is a second floor choir room and bookkeeper office.  In the church
building, 725-square-feet of the space, rented to the Association of
Classical and Christian Schools is taxable property.

The alterations made to the facilities, both under the direction of Christ
Church ministries, will be exempt until they are challenged by the assessor,
concerned citizens or space allotments are changed in the building, Fiscus
said.

Commissioner Paul Kimmell said the decision to increase the exemption status
of the church and college properties was easy.

"It's our job to assess that in a fair manner," said Kimmell, who is a
member of Christ Church. "If they fall within the perspective of Idaho code,
we wouldn't deny it. We want to make sure everything is fair. We want to
treat everyone consistently."

Hillary Hamm can be reached at (208) 882-5561, ext. 228, or by e-mail at
hhamm@dnews.com."

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.