[Vision2020] MORE UI Ineptitude

amy smoucha asmoucha@hotmail.com
Tue, 04 May 2004 19:12:13 -0500

It sounds like something the news media should be very interested in,
especially if they can publish some stories of "real people" without real
access to heath care.   It's very interesting how a plastic card (insurance)
does not necessarily gain access to health care.

Amy Smoucha

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Saundra Lund" <sslund@adelphia.net>
To: "'vision2020'" <vision2020@moscow.com>
CC: <gmichael@uidaho.edu>
Subject: [Vision2020] MORE UI Ineptitude
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 14:40:54 -0700

Visionaries:

I know this will come as no surprise to some, but I continue to be
flabbergasted at the level of absolute incompetence exhibited by
"management" at the University of Idaho.  Perhaps the words 'ineptitude' and
'incompetence' are the wrong words, but I don't know WHAT else to call it
when the UI is renewing a contract with a health care provider (BPA, or
Business Psychology Associates) which has been flatly unable to provide
contracted services for the past year.  What are those people thinking?!?!?

With decisions like this, it's no wonder the UI is plagued with financial
difficulties.  Those difficulties will continue, IMHO, until those making
the foul decisions are "reassigned."

For those interested, below my signature I'm including an email I sent, at
*her* request, to Linda Peavey, Director of Benefits Services, following her
4/9/2004 presentation.  I never received a response, and this from a woman
who stood in front of us claiming to always respond to her emails.  For some
clearly insane reason, I expect better from someone whom the UI pays $53,000
a year for her "expertise."

If anyone has any suggestions about how to deal with this, I'd ***love*** to
hear them because I'm about at my wit's end.  It's difficult enough to have
a child with a chronic illness, but to be left high and dry by the UI's
unconscionable decision to renew a contract with a carrier with a proven
failure to meet its contractual obligations is . . . well, I have no words
that can be used in polite company to express my disgust and
dissatisfaction.

And, if anyone has an "in" with incoming president Tim White, *please* feel
free to pass this on to him!  It seems clear to me that Benefits Services is
in desperate need of his attention upon his arrival.

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID