[Vision2020] Re: UI Golfing vs. real educational support

Ron Force rforce@moscow.com
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:33:16 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_004B_01C411BD.B5B314C0

I believe the golf program was accepted by the (then) university
administration before going through the usual program approval process. It
was passed by the Curriculum Committee and Faculty Council ex post facto on
the basis that it required no new courses or facilities. It's one of 12
accredited programs (by the PGA) in the country, the only one in the PNW. At
the time it was approved, they anticipated an eventual enrollment of 200.

One of my previous Alma Maters (Ohio State) had a popular major in "Turf
Grass Management". Golf is big business in this country-- on Spring Break, I
heard that Arizona has over 320 golf courses but ranks only 19th in the
nation.

Ron Force          Moscow ID USA

rforce@moscow.com