[Vision2020] Re: [Vision2020]Re: Logos Questions,

P.S. Stile psstile@hotmail.com
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:21:07 -0800

<P>Dear Mr. Schou:</P>
<P>What did I say in my post that could possibly make you think I was defending a theocratic church-state?&nbsp; What I was saying is that when government can compel attendance to institutions concerned with the opinions of men, and force its citizens to finance those institutions, I believe it creates a dangerous situation for the freedom of the mind/conscience.&nbsp; I also believe that Jefferson, in his bill, had some of the same concerns.&nbsp; Jefferson did not limit his warnings to jurisdiction over "religious" opinion alone, he simply referred to&nbsp;<STRONG>opinions</STRONG> in an unqualified way.&nbsp; </P>
<P>Some on this forum think they have the right to be concerned with an institution that does not compel attendance, and does not accept public money, because they have a vested interest in what future community members <STRONG>believe </STRONG>after their education.&nbsp; Would it then follow that these same people also believe government must somehow control those&nbsp;institutions outside the government system?&nbsp; If so, then they are comfortable with government being in control of the minds of men, especially in a standards based system, which we now have. This is what I think Jefferson was trying to warn against in his bill.</P>
<P>P.S. Stile</P>
<P>P.S. I also oppose all government funding for private education.&nbsp; </P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&gt;From: Andreas Schou <SCHO8053@UIDAHO.EDU></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; As Thomas Jefferson said (and yes, Nick, I have the original source material for
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; this quote if you'd like), "To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; tyrannical."
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I would note, Mr. "Stile", that this quote comes from the text of "A Bill for Establishing Religious Freedom" -- the document that, by and large, codified the wall of separation between church and state. In future, when defending a theocratic church-state, one might prefer that you actually use documents that actually support your position. Hope that helps.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;-- ACS
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&lt;&lt; message3.txt &gt;&gt;