[Vision2020] Re: note WAS: Why Christians don't reason well (serious)

Art Deco aka W. Fox deco@moscow.com
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:34:42 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C4080C.DD641510

Bob,

Thank you for posting this note from Doug Jones.  I hope everyone who
receives these kind of responses from cult minions will post them.

When Mr. Jones can show a convincing example of a true contradiction, then
one would start taking his
statements-about-god-are-not-subject-to-question-or-to-critical-examination
worldview more seriously.  Otherwise, I for one will continue my heathen,
slow-witted practice of using logic.

One cannot successfully argue that reason gives absolute truths. This is
because of the history of the development of logic has shown errors in logic
(which continue to be corrected just as empirical and mathematical knowledge
is subject to correction), but simple, correctly applied logic does seem to
give very probable outcomes depending on the probability of the premises
used.

Mr. Jones and his homologues use reason extensively (though not always
correctly) themselves (just read any article in Crudinto/Adumpsta),
rejecting logic only when it leads to contradictions and other problems in
and to their beliefs and belief structure.  This is a very hypocritical
practice and one which clinical psychologists would call a sometimes severe
mental health problem when practiced over the long haul.

Other mental health problems in the cult leadership are apparent from the
Cult Master's statements to the effect the "I have never changed my mind.  I
am always right." -- statements which cult toadies seem to swallow if for no
other reason than economic dependence on the Cult Master.

Perhaps, I am wrong and Mr. Jones is now prepared to offer an example of a
true contradiction and thus destroy the heuristic requirement that
communication between humankind needs to be reasonable.  If this is the
case, then the only problem left is choosing which of the many thousands of
religions, if any, is the true one -- a much more formidable task if we are
not allowed the use of logic or not allowed to ask questions.

Wayne