[Vision2020] Re: Logos Questions, and I why I expect Tom Garfield to respond

Saundra Lund sslund@adelphia.net
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 21:29:15 -0800

Hi Bill,

LOL -- I just had to chime in on this because my teen daughter (just turned
14) would *love* to come live with you  :-)))  She constantly tells me how
"old fashioned" I am, but our family rule is no phone in her bedroom.  There
are, of course, exceptions to the rule, but I figure there's nothing she
should be talking about with friends that needs to be discussed behind
closed doors.  This approach takes a bit of restraint on our parts and might
not work well if there were siblings to get in the mix:  we monitor the
conversations but don't intrude unless we hear foul language out of our
kid's mouth or completely inappropriate conversation on her part.  And, we
don't subject her to an inquisition about what exactly she was talking
about, but she does discuss things with us if she has questions or concerns.

No doubt, this approach wouldn't work for everyone, but it's worked well
with our teen in spite of periodic claims of how mean we are  :-)  And,
we've got an advantage in that our teen seems constitutionally unable to
keep secrets from us about things that go against our family values . . .
sooner or later, she spills the beans on just about everything.  We hear
things we'd rather not know(!), but it provides *great* opportunities for
discussion and reinforcement of family values.

Of course, she's only fourteen, so there are still plenty of years for her
cooperation to stop  :-))

And I admire your bravery:  *two* teen daughters!  Sheesh -- one is more
than enough trouble for me  :-))

But, back to the topic at hand, which I think was Ms. Huskey's letter to Mr.
Garfield regarding Logos School . . .

I take the responsibility of the education of our country's future (our
children) very seriously.  While public schools have their share of
problems, there are at least basic standards that are to be adhered to, and
when those standards aren't met, there is accountability (in theory, at
least).  In Idaho, non-public schools can choose to be accredited (a route
quite a few of private religious schools have chosen to go, including St.
Mary's right here in Moscow).  Logos School has apparently made a conscious
choice not to pursue that option, which isn't surprising given the views of
parent Christ Church regarding public education.
(For those interested in more information about accreditation of non-public,
special purpose, supplemental, or distance learning,
http://www.sde.state.id.us/accreditation/ is a good place to start.)

However, Logos School *is* a part of our community, and the children
educated there are a part of our community.  Since this is the case, I think
we all as community members have a vested interest in understanding how the
school works and what it teaches.  The questions Ms. Huskey has asked Mr.
Garfield seem legitimate to me.

Many months ago, I asked on V2020 about corporal punishment at Logos trying
to get facts rather than rumor, and even though there were *several* V2020
participants (including Doug Wilson, one of Logos' founders)  who could have
provided the factual information, my question went unanswered.

I also have questions/concerns about "admission" criteria and special
education based on some very telling ACCS articles (for those who don't
know, ACCS is another Wilson World enterprise and Logos is a charter member)
written by Tom Garfield, Tom Spencer, and Doug Wilson.  For those
interested, I recommend reading some of the ACCS CLASSIS Newsletter
archives.  With respect to "admission" criteria and special education
philosophies, I specifically recommend:
Who's Got the Right Diagnosis by Tom Garfield
Admissions by Tom Spencer
Both of the above are in Vol. 3, No. 1 (Spencer's "Admissions" piece is
tacked onto the end of Garfield's "Who's Got the Right Diagnosis").
Apparently, more can be read on these two topics in _Repairing the Ruins_, a
book available from . . . you guessed it:  Cannon Press.
Teaching Disabilities by Doug Wilson (Vol. 3, No. 3)
The above articles can be accessed from:
http://www.accsedu.org/pageview.asp?pageid=3443

(As an aside, for those interested in the early incestuous relationship
between Wilson World's Christ Church/Logos School/ ACCS/Cannon Press/New St.
Andrews College/Credenda Agenda/Collegiate Reformed Fellowship, I *highly*
recommend "Can’t Tell the Players Without a Scorecard" by Douglas Wilson in
Vol. 3, No. 2
 of CLASSIS, also available from the ACCS Web site:
http://www.accsedu.org/pageview.asp?pageid=3443)

And if we need further reason to "justify" our interest in the education of
our community's children, consider the following:
"Wilson said people as far away as Korea were "voting with their feet" and
seeking out Moscow for the Christian climate . . . "It is conceivable, for
example, within the next five years that the government school system may be
the minority form of education for Moscow with private education being the
majority form".
(Daily News; WSU Associate Professor Turns Camera on Church Debate;
1/24-25/2004)

And, add to that Wilson has gone on record as saying, "I don't want kids in
government schools."
(LMT; "Wilson Puts Faith in Action"; 4/28/2002).

Yes, I think we as a community have a legitimate interest in knowing about
the formal education the children in our community receive.  We are all
"customers" in the sense that the community's children are our most precious
resource.

JMHO,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID