[Vision2020] questions about lawbreaking

Tom Hansen thansen@moscow.com
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 06:43:22 -0800

Mr. DeSpinauer -

Your analogy of smoking marijuana and operating an illegal gambling
establishment does not hold water.

I will openly admit that I have smoked marijuana.  Many of my friends (past
and present) have smoked marijuana.  However, none of us endorse felonious
behavior (i.e. acknowledging a relationship with, and financially supporting
of, an illegal gambling establishment).

I knew, back when I smoked marijuana, that I was committing a crime.  I knew
that if I were caught, I would have to "pay the piper".

Judging by your argument, you are claiming that since Rose may have known of
somebody that smoked marijuana and did not report it to the police, that it
is acceptable for a pastor to cover up a felony (or two or three or . . .).

This brings up a question that was asked in an ethics class I took in
college.  How major of a crime would your best friend have to commit before
you report him/her to the police?  I know where my line is drawn.  Doug
Wilson's is buried somewhere in the collection plate.

Take care,

Tom Hansen
Not On The Palouse, Not Ever

"When people sin, everybody has to pay."

- Pastor Douglas Wilson, Christ Church (June 7, 2002)