[Vision2020] Grammar

Tim Hillebrand chief@synergetics.org
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 16:31:14 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01C40206.1CEDC3A0

Janesta brought up the subject of criticizing another person's grammar. I'd
be interested in hearing what others have to say about this sensitive area.
I'd like to know if others think it's ok to criticize someone's grammar, and
under what conditions. I'd like to know if people who receive criticism
might appreciate it, if it is done discreetly, and for that matter, how one
might do it discreetly. Because grammar has not been taught as a formal
subject for three generations now in public schools, do most people even
care about proper, Standard English anymore? For instance, I don't think
that the leader of the free world cares about it, and he's supposedly a role
model. Do you think those who may know that they have "bad" grammar even
care, or do you think that they would like to improve it, or do you think
that they would feel uncomfortable, as if they were "putting on airs," or
speaking too hoity-toity and not want to risk being laughed at by their
associates? Do people with bad grammar know that they have bad grammar? What
do employers think about hiring people who are grammatically challenged? I
would appreciate hearing any thoughts on this subject.

Thanks,

Tim

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01C40206.1CEDC3A0

<head>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<!--
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:Arial;
	color:windowtext;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->

</head>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>Janesta brought up the subject of criticizing another =
person&#8217;s
grammar. I&#8217;d be interested in hearing what others have to say =
about this
sensitive area. I&#8217;d like to know if others think it&#8217;s ok to
criticize someone&#8217;s grammar, and under what conditions. I&#8217;d =
like to
know if people who receive criticism might appreciate it, if it is done =
discreetly,
and for that matter, how one might do it discreetly. Because grammar has =
not
been taught as a formal subject for three generations now in public =
schools, do
most people even care about proper, Standard English anymore? For =
instance, I
don&#8217;t think that the leader of the free world cares about it, and =
he&#8217;s
supposedly a role model. Do you think those who may know that they have =
&#8220;bad&#8221;
grammar even care, or do you think that they would like to improve it, =
or do
you think that they would feel uncomfortable, as if they were =
&#8220;putting on
airs,&#8221; or speaking too hoity-toity and not want to risk being =