[Vision2020] 06-01-04 LA Times: For Iraqis, a Symbol of Unkept Promises

Melynda Huskey mghuskey@msn.com
Tue, 01 Jun 2004 15:14:24 -0700

Pat,

I noticed that the piece included a discussion of some Iraqis' unrealistic
expectations, the widespread corruption which plagues the reconstruction,
poor information sharing, and a severely damaged Iraqi infrastructure--all
reasons that it's unfair to blame the U.S. for the slow progress of
nation-building in Iraq.  It reported that many Iraqis who welcomed the
invasion are now frustrated and angry about the way the occupation has been
handled.  And it acknowledged that the occupation has not been problem-free.
  Not surprisingly, Iraqis would like schools, electricity, sewers, and
trash collection restored to pre-war levels, and they're frustrated.  I
didn't notice any reference to the President in the article at all.

That looks like evenhanded reporting to me; apparently not so to you.  I'm
curious:  what would you consider a balanced news story on this subject?
Have you seen any that met your criteria?  What do you find objectionable
about this one?

Melynda Huskey