[Vision2020] What is relative moralism: Ask the Source

Nate Wilson natewilson@moscow.com
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 09:12:47 -0800

--------------090306090807050100050505

When I read Mr. Fox's message (pasted below) I thought to myself, "Self,
what this man thinks he wants is honest dialog. Really honest. But what
he needs is a warm security-providing hug." Would those of you close
enough to Mr. Fox please provide him with a warm embrace? I don't think
he would ask me in if he found me on his front step with, in the words
of the poet, "arms wide open."

NDW

Art Deco wrote:

> Why don't we ask the Cult Master himself what he meant?
>
> Although he claims to have abandoned us lost souls on Vision 2020, his
> son Nate and other cultist still lurk on Vision 2020 policing our
> intolerance among other things.
>
> Maybe Nate or another cultist or maybe (Gasp!!!) the Master himself
> might condescend to provide an explicit, well defined answer?
>
> If we don't get an answer, perhaps we are to assume that as usual,
> the Cult Master doesn't really know what he is talking about.
>
> Wayne Fox

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
When I read Mr. Fox's message (pasted below) I thought to myself,
"Self, what this man thinks he wants is honest dialog. Really honest.
But what he needs is a warm security-providing hug." Would those of you
close enough to Mr. Fox please provide him with a warm embrace? I don't
think he would ask me in if he found me on his front step with, in the
words of the poet, "arms wide open."<br>
NDW<br>
Art Deco wrote:<br>
 cite="mid001f01c3e795$ec576640$daa17e40@newmicronpccom">
Master himself what he meant?</font></div>
abandoned us lost souls on Vision 2020, his son Nate and other cultist
still lurk on Vision 2020 policing our intolerance among other things.</font></div>
or maybe (Gasp!!!) the Master himself might condescend to provide an
explicit, well defined answer?</font></div>
perhaps we are to assume that as usual,&nbsp; the Cult Master doesn't really
know what he is talking about.</font></div>
 style="border-left: 2px solid rgb(0, 0, 0); padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 5px; margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px;">
 style="font-family: arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size-adjust: none;">-----
Original Message ----- </div>
 style="background: rgb(228, 228, 228) none repeat scroll 0%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; font-family: arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size-adjust: none;"><b>From:</b>
    <a title="Aldoussoma@aol.com" href="mailto:Aldoussoma@aol.com">Aldoussoma@aol.com</a>
 style="font-family: arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size-adjust: none;"><b>To:</b>
    <a title="thansen@moscow.com" href="mailto:thansen@moscow.com">thansen@moscow.com</a>
; <a title="deco@moscow.com" href="mailto:deco@moscow.com">deco@moscow.com</a>
; <a title="vision2020@moscow.com" href="mailto:vision2020@moscow.com">vision2020@moscow.com</a>
 style="font-family: arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size-adjust: none;"><b>Sent:</b>
Friday, January 30, 2004 4:46 PM</div>
 style="font-family: arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size-adjust: none;"><b>Subject:</b>
Re: [Vision2020] What is relative moralism</div>
Tom et. al. <br>
Thanks for your reply and definition of "situational ethics." <br>
My suggested definition of moral relativism with the analogy to the
theory of relativity would not be better defined as situational ethics,
according to the definition you offer, nor do I think based on what I
have gathered from Wilson's statements that Wilson would think his view
of moral relativism is better defined according to your definition of
situational ethics. <br>
First, you stated "I believe WHAT WILSON MEANS by 'relative moralism'
is better defined as situational ethics." &nbsp;So you are at least in this
one case appearing to tell us how Wilson defines an idea he has used
over and over, that of "relative moralism." &nbsp;If you state that what
someone "means" by moral relativism is better defined by the term
situational ethics, you are stating something about that person's
beliefs. <br>
Furthermore, the definition of "situational ethics" you offer could
apply to Wilson's stand on the death penalty or slavery, making Wilson
a believer in situational ethics, a phrase you imply better defines
moral relativism, which would contradict Wilson's statements that he is
not a moral relativist. <br>
Also, your definition of situational ethics I do not think can be
equated with, or defined in terms of, moral relativism in the strong
sense of this phrase, because of fundamental contradictions involved.
&nbsp;I suggested moral relativism means there are no universal moral
principles that apply to all situations, which is clearly implied in my
analogy with the theory of relativity which states there is no one
universal time applying to all places in the universe. This is a very
different definition of morality than suggested in your definition of
situational ethics, which appears to allow for universal principles of
morality, with some higher principles overruling other ones in specific
situations. <br>
If I am correct, moral relativism is not "better defined as situational
ethics," according to my view or Wilson's, as you suggested, at least
not according to the definition you supplied. <br>
Thanks for your time. <br>
Ted Moffett <br>
Tom wrote: <br>
I stated: <br>
"I believe that what Douglas Wilson means by 'relative moralism' is
better <br>
defined as situational ethics." <br>
To which Ted "I have no last name" responded: <br>
"Please Tom, do explain what "situational ethics" is, in terms of
Wilson's <br>
beliefs, which you appeared to claim to understand." <br>
Mr. "I have no last name" - I do not claim anywhere in my 16-word post
that <br>
I understand Douglas Wilson's beliefs. &nbsp;Only he can explain his
beliefs. <br>
As far as "situational ethics" is concerned: <br>
situational ethics - The philosophy that there are overriding ethical <br>
maxims, but that sometimes it is necessary to set them aside in
particular <br>
situations to fulfill a higher law or principle. <br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0767430158/student_view0/glossary.html">http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0767430158/student_view0/glossary.html</a>
Now, if you will excuse me I have some posting to do. <br>
Tom Hansen <br>
Not On The Palouse, Not Ever <br>

--------------090306090807050100050505--