[Vision2020] Sigh...

Warren Hayman whayman@adelphia.net
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 08:05:54 -0800

Warren Hayman
English 102 Spring 04
Writing Assignment #1

The position and velocity of an electron cannot be determined
simultaneously.
 -- Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle

To participate in the world is to revise it.
-- an interpretive restatement

As we have discussed in class, what may seem the solitary engagements of
both reading and writing actually constitute a dialogue with either the
text or audience or both.  Therefore, in this first graded writing
assignment we will attempt to put the theory into practice.

I would like you to choose one of the articles covered in Ramage and
Bean (Quammen or Dillard), summarize the article, and provide your own
strong response. Said in a different way, what you want to do is to
transfer the text (summary), and then transform the text (response). Use
the text in the book (Chap 6) we read and discussed in class to guide
you.

o You need to summarize the article.  REMEMBER-- your audience (the
university community) has NOT read it, and so you want to keep your
opinion out of the summary aspect.  A summary discusses the "whats" of
the article; that is, a summary consists of a shortened form of the
article wherein the main points are fully elucidated.

o Think of an experience you may have had, any reactions/questions you
may have, etc. and describe your response for your audience.  Be
specific, original, and concrete (benchmarks of good writing).

Make sure the audience gets the main points of it and your
experience/reaction, and can clearly understand your response(s) to it.

Rough draft/peer editing 1/28; submission draft due 1/30.

BRING THREE COPIES OF YOUR ROUGH DRAFT TO CLASS ALONG WITH AT LEAST
THREE WRITTEN QUESTIONS YOU HAVE CONCERNING YOUR PAPER.