[Vision2020] Not on the Palouse, Not Ever website

Saundra Lund sslund@adelphia.net
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 18:33:45 -0800

Hi Ms. Smoucha,

You wrote:
"I for one am very concerned about a local preacher seeking sanction of
academics who are writing and commenting on issues in their subject areas."

I may have already said this, but I share your concern!

FYI, this is *not* the first time said local "preacher" has tried to throw
his weight around the UI to get his way.  It didn't work the first time, and
I'm optimistic it's not going to work any better this time.

Back in 1990, Wilson used his column (three times, no less, in Feb., March,
and April) in the Lewiston Trib to try to bully the UI into *not* getting
rid of an assistant professor who I'm told also happened to be a member of
the Wilson flock, a factoid not shared with Trib readers:  Wilson never
bothered to reveal that motivation for his defense of the prof was anything
other than pure as the driven snow -- no surprise there.

I won't get into Wilson's allegations as I've not found anything other than
Wilson's biased side of the story, but you may find it interesting to know
that *at least* as far back as 1990, Wilson was accusing the UI of being
responsible for "another outbreak of liberal "tolerance"" (4/21/1990) with
respect to the UI's decision not to renew the professor's contract.

Lest anyone think Wilson is cleaver in his use of his new favorite word
'Intoleristas,' this is simply a tired revival of a dog that wouldn't hunt
the first time around and isn't going to hunt this time around, either.

You also may not be surprised to find that series of posts were *not*
isolated instances of Wilson using his column to defend, call attention to,
and attempt to marshal support for the "causes" of his followers without
revealing a prime motivation for his defense of same.  I've found a couple
of other columns where he did the same thing.  Nothing wrong with sticking
up for your friends, but when using a newspaper column to do it, the right
thing to do seems to me to be honest about the motivation and admit you're
doing your buddies the favor.

Finally, it may be worth noting that Wilson's thinly veiled references to
legal action aren't new, either:
"Incidentally, the proceedings were taped, and things were said which would
provide a good lawyer with a field day." (3/3/1990)

"Please note that this letter is not threatening a suit for defamation. I
have better things to do. But it is to let you know that I have been
counseled to consider it . . . The central point is to let you know that if
the facts of this particular controversy were to find their way into the
hands of those who are looking for ways to hammer the University of Idaho,
it would be very difficult for the UI to defend itself. In short, the
University of Idaho has enough trouble going right now without your
diversity office generating more of it for you."  (12/19/2003)

Yeah, yeah, yeah . . . same old tired manipulative tactics:  when you're not
sure throwing your weight around, making false and unsubstantiated
allegations, and attacking genuine scholars will do the trick, hint at
lawsuits.

And, Mr. Hansen, I join Ms. Smoucha in expressing my *sincere gratitude* for
the work you've done putting together & keeping up-to-date the Not on the
Palouse, Not Ever web site!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
-Edmund Burke