[Vision2020] Jane Marple, Jane Marple, let down thy hair to me.

Edna Wilmington edwilming@yahoo.com
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 21:21:18 -0800 (PST)

Dear Jane,

I deeply regret hearing of your recent episode. To
wit, you and your dear niece, Joan, have my word that
I'm not to blame. Apparently, that notorious swindler,
Penny Dreadful, has been up to no good again.

You see, the letter Sir Henry Clithering showed you
has been proved a forgery, pierced through with lies.
Had you consulted with Rev. Walter Dithering instead,
you would have been spared the mix-up, for he
witnessed the egregious crime firsthand.  Who could
have wished for a more trustworthy bystander than the
pastor of the local Church of Our Insignificant Other?

I can hardly bear the thought of you being taken in
this manner.  No doubt your fate was controlled by no
less fortuitous a set of circumstances than the unjust
trial of John Spenkelink.  Thankfully, your ordeal has
ended, since I now have occasion to set the matter
straight by informing you that I remain self-employed
and unfamiliar with doings at the establishment run by
Madam Saggers.

I trust you'll be pleased to hear that my own private
business in town has been bustling so much that
presently, I have no need of additional work.  True,
the pecuniary rewards may not be that great, but the
satisfaction of performing a helpful community service
swells my heart with pleasure.

Nevertheless, if you find yourself in need of good
service, I wouldn't look to Madam Saggers's operation
because they don't carry what you require.  Instead, I
feel safe suggesting you try St. Mary Mead's only
other house of ill repute, where the supply of extra
large egos and wee tools remains fully stocked year
round.

Your burden now eased by my report, you may rest
assured of my having received an accurate copy of your
letter to Joan, which I attest, arrived promptly one
day after you sent it by pony express.  My sources
within the system assure me no tampering occurred
along the route, which never included Sprague Avenue
in Spokane, Washington.  Please, accept my apology for
failing to confirm receipt of your message sooner, as
I was briefly preoccupied by pressing concerns of
scholarly import.

Before bidding you farewell, I must confess my
astonishment at learning of your admiration for Mr.
Brautigan's work.  It seems abnormal to me that a mind
so steely and logical as yours would perceive
greatness in his brand of ingenious schlock.  I assume
you've slipped from your regular form and perhaps
fallen victim to his cleverness unwittingly.  This
grim state of affairs lends me no option except to
pray your conundrum leaves you disinclined toward
choosing as soul-cleansing a dispatch as he.

Flattered even more, but still loving you tenderly,

Edna Wilmington

P.S. Dreadful me! I almost neglected to wish Gladys a
speedy recovery.  I have arranged for the Yellow Duck
Café to deliver a Mocha Torte to your cottage with
haste, in hopes that the sheer delight of tasting it
will lift her spirits high.