[Vision2020] Fwd: Fw: Kayak registration

Art Deco deco@moscow.com
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 08:28:45 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C3DFF8.95ED0D90

MessageDan,

I agree with that all users should be assessed fees for recreational =
use.  Those fees should be in some proportion to the cost of servicing =
and repairing the damage to the resource being used.

As a cross-country skier and snowshoer, I pay $20 annually for the Park =
n' Ski program.  As you know by our association with FOMM both my wife =
and I have no problem with contributing to help defray costs to owners =
who provide recreational access to their properties.

The search and rescue program funding is a more complex issue.  As I am =
sure you know, the bulk of search and rescue missions are engendered by =
careless ORV use.  However, it can be argued that charging for a rescue =
can cause some in need not to call and thus suffer.

I agree that those users that intentionally go poorly prepared into high =
risk areas should be assessed something.  Cases that come to mind =
include alpine skiers and snow-boarders that deliberately go out of =
bounds and find themselves in trouble.  What the assessment should be is =
difficult to determine.  Perhaps, there must be some balance between =
personal responsibility and the states' police and protection duties.

Wayne Fox
  ----- Original Message -----=20