[Vision2020] Fwd: Fw: Kayak registration

Dan Carscallen predator75@moscow.com
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 08:39:27 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0053_01C3DFFA.1493E280

I agree that personal responsibility is the key, and I am not in favor
of charging for S&R necessarily.  I believe that if people have to pay a
fee to do something (like your park n' ski and my ORV sticker), it
forces one to take a sort of responsibility.
=20
I agree that it is a slippery slope, and the "one percent-ers" screw it
up for the rest of us.
=20
DC

-----Original Message-----
From: vision2020-admin@moscow.com [mailto:vision2020-admin@moscow.com]
On Behalf Of Art Deco
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 8:29 AM
To: vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Fwd: Fw: Kayak registration

Dan,
=20
I agree with that all users should be assessed fees for recreational
use.  Those fees should be in some proportion to the cost of servicing
and repairing the damage to the resource being used.
=20
As a cross-country skier and snowshoer, I pay $20 annually for the Park
n' Ski program.  As you know by our association with FOMM both my wife
and I have no problem with contributing to help defray costs to owners
who provide recreational access to their properties.
=20
The search and rescue program funding is a more complex issue.  As I am
sure you know, the bulk of search and rescue missions are engendered by
careless ORV use.  However, it can be argued that charging for a rescue
can cause some in need not to call and thus suffer.
=20
I agree that those users that intentionally go poorly prepared into high
risk areas should be assessed something.  Cases that come to mind
include alpine skiers and snow-boarders that deliberately go out of
bounds and find themselves in trouble.  What the assessment should be is
difficult to determine.  Perhaps, there must be some balance between
personal responsibility and the states' police and protection duties.
=20
Wayne Fox

----- Original Message -----=20