[Vision2020] RE: Rose's posting

amy smoucha asmoucha@hotmail.com
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 12:59:19 -0600

David,

Even more scary than Wilson's associations are your hair-splitting attempts
to make his words more palatable.  Thank you for posting the whole letter.
The omitted sections demonstrate more clearly what Rose concluded.

I appreciate your unintended honesty.

Amy Smoucha

----Original Message Follows----
From: "David Douglas" <ddouglas@pacsim.com>
To: <DonaldH675@aol.com>, <vision2020@moscow.com>
Subject: RE: [Vision2020] RE:  Rose's posting
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:42:35 -0500

Visionaries and Rose,

-
Rose adds the following post script to her last LOS posting:
   PS  I suppose anyone who wishes to read more about Doug's position on the
LOS organization  – which he “mildly supports” but did not join -
could stop by the Christ Church office or email Doug directly and ask for a
copy.

Or, Rose could just post it if she has it, or ask the brave (how so?, I
would ask) contributor send it to her and post it.  Or I could do it.  Lest
anyone think I am brave, the information is "free".  Though I, speaking for
myself, would not have posted the whole letter  since it was not sent to
"everyone".   However, having had this much published, however it would
probably give the reader a more complete picture of Doug's point of the
letter.

[Rose characterizes Doug's letter thusly:  In a heroic effort to explain the
League of the South to his followers, Doug wrote this explanatory note.
Let's see....]

Kirkers,

In the midst of our current controversy with our local intoleristas, some of
you many have wondered about the League of the South, and what our
connection to that organization actually is. Steve Wilkins, whom you know,
has served as a director for the organization. When the group was first
formed Steve told them a couple things that bear on our situation here.
First, he said the group had to be explicitly Christian or he could not be
associated with it. He also told them that it could not be racist in any
way, and if anything like that showed up, he was out of there. Steve has
recently resigned from their board of directors, but *not* because there was
any problem with the conditions above.

[This is the rest of the letter, the remainder of the body of the letter
does not say anything not presented in the "free information" section]

Rather, it was the result of changing priorities. Some of the thinking about
those changing priorities might be made clearer through something I recently
wrote on the subject, which I have included for you below. Just consider
this free information, and if you can use it, great.

If At First, You Don't Secede . . .
One response to the League of the South has the effect of making any desire
for secession for cultural reasons look ludicrous. Now I am not a member of
the League, and Steve has recently resigned from the board of directors
because his priorities have been shifting. But let me say this to support
the League (mildly), even though I do differ with them. I am not a member of
the League because I believe that the severe problems this nation has do not
admit of a political or cultural solution. There is no way out for us apart
from a massive reformation of liturgy and doctrine in the evangelical church
nationwide. That is where I want to concentrate all my energies, and that is
what I understand Steve as also wanting to do. I believe that the League's
attempts to stop what is happening are in the same category as the attempts
being made by Focus on the Family to get prayer back in the government
schools.

But let me defend them to this extent. They are not wanting to maintain a
distinct Southern heritage because they are afraid that some Yankee judge
will outlaw grits. Please note where we actually are as a nation--just a few
weeks away from the full faith and credit clause of the mangled
Constitution, courtesy of Massachusetts, being used to impose homosexual
marriages on Alabama, Virginia, Idaho, and all the cities of the plain.
Secession over such a cause is impossible (because of the current impotence
of the church). But if the church were not impotent, and if a state were
able to successfully secede from the Union rather than have such an
abomination imposed upon them, it would be entirely noble. Not only would it
be worth doing, it would be obligatory.

But the League of the South should not be anticipating large successes in
their fight for traditional culture because the carrier of all culture is
cultus, the worship of God. Because our general evangelical cultus is both
inane and idolatrous, there will be no salvaging of our culture in the next
few weeks. Reformation of the church is what we need to be eating, drinking,
and breathing--all the time. As for the folks in the League of the South and
Focus on the Family, God bless them. I wish them the best, and I understand
why they want to get out there and make a direct challenge to the abortion
culture, the homosexual culture, and so forth. But they will continue to
fail because so many Christians still refuse to acknowledge Christ's
ownership of their babies, refuse to bring them up in the nurture and
admonition of the Lord, refuse to teach them the glories of celebrating the
Lord's Day, and refuse to conduct their worship services as though our
triune God is holy, holy, holy.

The folks in the League are good diagnosticians. But they are not in a
position to pursue the remedy, which will only be found if judgment begins
with the household of God.

If I wanted an "explanation" of the league of the South, never mind an
heroic one, I wouldn't be happy with that one.  It was, in fact, an
explanation of the fundamental futility of the means used by that group.
Fundamental message:  "Don't like the way things are?  Worship God, and live
out the gospel."  I would infer (which may not be what was implied) that
Rose's anger is that it is not condemned the way she would condemn it.  And
also, now that Steve Wilkins is not a member of the group (as Doug never
was), the underlying inference, (which again may not be what was implied) I
get is that Steve should've left earlier, and for different reasons, so we
can keep the LOS thing going when dealing with Doug.  But note the thrust of
the criticism is with the evangelical church.  I'd have a difficult time
figuring that out from Rose's characterization.

I would add that unless Rose got her statement of Doug's mild support from
another document then here is where she got it in this document:

Whereas Rose writes:

         ....Doug's position on the LOS organization  – which he “mildly
supports” but did not join - could ....

This may be a difference without a difference but there is a difference in
context and flavor between the two statements.  It would have been fairer to
provide the reader with context.  In another context people on this list
might call that purposeful twisting of words. Not me (seriously).  But I do
think it is sloppy usage and and a less than 100% faithful transposition of
information.  Such is the nature of even non-lying words.  Let me stipulate
that my letter might be characterized the same way (though I don't see it
now).  But I'm *not* trying to lie.

Probably Rose wasn't lying, either.  I believe her general claims of
honesty, since as a Christian I'm commanded to assume the best, even though
I can't swear to the absolute truth (hence the "probably") about unknowns
(like people's hearts).  And,  from other correspondence with Rose, this is
and easy, and not grudging belief.  I say this even in the face of
contradictions and omissions.  But the fact is, from Rose's post the reader
does not have all the context that the reader of Doug's letter would have
dad.   Facts, and truth, when dealing with conversations writings etc,  are
tricky, often inconvenient, things and require a lot of research to get a
good picture.  Or at least of a lot of research to make sure the negative
conclusions are indeed true before publishing them.

In like manner I would ask if Rose has done sufficient investigation to see
whether the "lies" she sees coming out of Christ Church are really lies, or
insufficient information to reconcile apparently contradictory information.
Sounds like an opportunity for thorough research and presentation of all the
facts.

Finally, this would be a good place to ask Rose, what are her sources for
"covenantal lying"?  Sure, there are examples of deception in scripture
which are commended.  The mid-wives lying to Pharaoh attempting to thwart
his campaign of infanticide, for example.  Contemporarily put, this would be
the "No, no Jew's in my attic" behavior in WWII.  (And, if more proof were
needed, this was done by those progressive Europeans).  Beyond that I have
never heard of the term prior to her reference and can't find this specific
term on Google (this and a phone book are very handy research tools).  How
about a few references, Rose?  Such thinking might be defended scriptural,
or need to be condemned as unscriptural license, but it would depend on
having of more of the W's than "What".

Not "covenantally lying"  (unless, I suppose, I am).

Cheers,

David Douglas