[Vision2020] Bill's Quill and Rosemary's Thyme

rodney johnson rodneyjohnsoniii@hotmail.com
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 09:38:43 +0000

Believe it or not, I am actually going to follow through with two particular
resolutions for the New Year: not to waste time, and to speak more plainly.
(Translated: this is absolutely my last hurrah on Vision 2020.)  And, once
again, I am in no way connected or related (biologically, logistically, or
denominationally -- though I'm still up for grabs demographically and
ontologically) to the alleged Axis of Evil that is the topic of discussion
everyday, in every way, on this forum.  So please do not blame them or hold
them accountable for anything I write.

Bill London must have herniated himself in his stre-eeetched analysis of the
present situation with the Hewlett Packard case from the 9th Circuit.  There
is a gigantic difference, though, between this apple and that orange that is
so glaringly obvious that Tom Hansen should have been the only one who
failed to recognize it.  Hewlett Packard is a private corporation.  Hewlett
Packard is not the U.S. government, nor is there a State of Hewlett Packard,
nor a City of HP.  Hewlett Packard does not have any obligations under the
First Amendment of the Constitution; the federal, state, and local
governments, on the other hand, have ALL the obligations under the
First--and later by incorporation, Fourteenth--Amendments.  The only laws
that Hewlett Packard can pass are by-laws.

So, Bill, go ahead, as you suggested in your recent posting, and push for
the Moscow City Council to officially censure Doug Wilson, Christ Church,
New St. Andrews, etc.  It should be an easy deal.  After all, three of the
city councilmembers are basically your MCA plants (remember how it all
started, sitting around in YOUR kitchen).  John, Nancy, and Linda ought to
grab the ball and run with it, legal advice to the contrary.  The delegates
to the Constitutional Convention were unaware of the double entendre when
they thankfully decided against BILL's of Attainder.

It's not just the Constitution that limits what government can do to private
individuals and organizations.  Civil rights legislation is also a check on
state action.  If there is one thing I have harped on consistently in this
controversy, it is that certain actions taken by state actors (primarily the
universities) were unlawful.  Yes, UNLAWFUL.  Some of you might have noticed
how the ODHR's website was dramatically altered quite a ways into the
controversy.  The website now has a definitely more neutral tone in how it
disseminates information, and has even underlined a few important words in
the President Michael's original release just to cover its butt.  They had
to change their website to comply with the law.  Imagine that: a diversity
office being slack in its compliance with civil rights laws!  My objections
to what was going on had nothing to do with academic freedom and how
half-rate professors quietly correct their spelling errors, but everything
to do with how administrative officials actually deal with Diversity the
Reality, not Diversity the Myth.

My advice, though I have never had occasion to give it (and they should take
it with great caution since, after all, my law degree is from the U of I),
for Christ Church congregants who attend the University would be to actually
exercise their rights under the laws of the land, and especially under the
University's own regulations.  Start filing the harassment complaints when
you experience harassment, especially the institutional kind.  Make ODHR
actually follow through with its job description.  But good luck in honestly
expecting any impartial application of these regulations and the
University's own "respectful climate"-sponsoring policies!  What I call
harassment, they call protest.  You say to-MEI-to, I say to-MA-to.  After
all, didn't the President himself officially declare these to be bad and
repugnant folks...?  Aren’t they a hate group, and it's okay to hate
hate-groups...?  I find it frightfully amusing that at least two of the
signers of these now-famous statements (and at least one partial retraction
from WSU) are Mormons.  Bill, why don't you start quizzing President Rawlins
and Provost Pitcher about their church's "antigay" views, not to mention the
historical (sic?) LDS stance on the black race, slavery, and the
Confederacy?  (After all, the 1970s are not ancient history.)  Pull your
strings with the City Council marionettes so they take action to show that
these people are not part of our community.  But that would be too
consistent, wouldn't it; and it wouldn't accomplish your real objective, now
would it?

Bill, you have some serious control issues.  You are Moscow's self-appointed
busybody.  Your "open letters" from the Town Crybaby are about as open as
Rosemary's driveway this year.  (All I can hum lately is, "Let it snow, let
it snow, let it snow...")  It's either your way or the highway.  When public
officials (and even private individuals) don't lay prostrate in your
presence, you mete out public retribution with your poison pen.  Of course,
you fashion yourself as just practicing good government, being a Ralph
Nader-lite, a conscientious and high-minded Public Citizen.  Nonsense!
You're nothing but a boisterous and self-inflated Public Nuisance.  As Joan
Opyr would say, "You're not the boss of me" (or something like that).  Bill,
you are not the boss of me, your are not the boss of Moscow, and you are not
the boss of a number of citizens who don't like your idea of what you call
"OUR community."

Oh boy, this plainspeaking stuff is really starting to feel good!  Thanks,
Rosemary, for setting the example of how we Quakers can speak truth to
power, how we can pull no punches with our plain speech, how we can be
insultingly egalitarian to university officials and professors, city
councilmembers, and even Bill London.  And to top it off, we can even
justify it with our religion.  How to Tell the Pharisees Off, In Ten Easy
Steps.

(Here I should pause to make a note to Tom Hansen, for whom there is no
shade of gray and ne'er reading material between the lines: I have been
trying to make a point.)

By the way, Rose, nice try with the "my main purpose in this Inquisition is
not Greg Dickison."  Come on, we are not that stupid.  Oh, sure, you were
just taking a comprehensive look at how Latah County could save money, cut
excess expenditures and while you were doing your across-the-board
numbers-crunching snow-bound homework, you just happened to stumble across
the PD contracts.  Naw, that dog won't bark.  It's time for some really
plain speaking.  Why don't you just drop the façade and come out and say it.
  You hate Greg Dickison, don't you?  And Doug Wilson?  And all the rest of
them?  Just be honest and speak plainly and repeat the admission: "I HATE
THEM!"

Speaking of hate on a more serious note, I think of the term "love"-- an
elusive term, more than a concept, something that can never really truly be
described except experientially.  How does the old saying go?  "How will I
know I'm in love?" asks Innocence.  "You'll know it when you know it," says
Experience.  "You'll just know it."  Anyway, you get the picture.  Like
love, "hate" is also an elusive term, something that one can't really put
the finger on easily until it is readily seen, read, heard, felt, and known
and recognized for what it is.  Which brings me to Vision 2020.  There is
ample hate circulated daily on this forum.  It is palpable, very palpable;
and, ironically, it is usually manifested in the name of "fighting hate."
And, of course, it is primarily directed at the usual gang: Doug Wilson
("The Most Hated Man in Moscow"), Christ Church, New St. Andrews, etc.  Most
of the hate preceded the slavery debate of a few months ago; but with the
"Neo-confederate" twist, the hate just found a focal point that some would
say even legitimizes it.  In other words, hate is bad, but it's now okay to
hate those guys.  For the SPLC tells me so.

Look through the Vision 2020 archives if you don't believe me.  Try to find
a kind word spoken by DonaldH675.  It's nothing but nastiness, bitterness,
spite--in short, hate.  It's ugly.  No allegation is too outlandish to make,
no inference is too slanderous to draw, and no rumor is too depraved to
entertain.  All of this has the tinge of madness.  Rosemary is obsessed to
the point that she's absolutely consumed with hate and can't get rid of it.
It erupts forth and infects us all, like a deadly flu bug.  It causes her to
spend an inordinate amount of time each day stewing and reviewing in her
mind all the bad thoughts she has about certain people.  Her emails make
that clear.  It makes her do crazy things like going off on the recent
tangent of marshalling the like-minded troops in a fit to storm the
commissioners' office.  Anything to get Greg Dickison.  Anything to go after
anybody from Christ Church.  Like it or not, Christ Church has now become
Rose's life, her permanent source of a very uninspiring "inspiration," and
she can't let go even if she were to try.

It's not healthy, and I want to be as far away as possible from this daily
dose of vitriol.

- Rod Johnson

(Canceling my prescription for 20/20 Vision, I'd rather be in the dark.)