[Vision2020] Retreat, Denial, and Silent Running

Steve Wells wellstep@turbonet.com
Fri, 09 Jan 2004 21:52:56 -0800

Doug Wilson hasn't retreated and his position on slavery hasn't changed.
Or so he says in tonight's Daily News. But let's compare what he (and
Credenda Agenda) said before the Canon Press flier flap with what came
after.

Before:
"[N]othing is clearer  the New Testament opposes anything like the
abolitionism of our country prior to the War Between the States. The New
Testament contains many instructions for Christian slave owners, and
requires a respectful submissive demeanor for Christian slaves.
. . .
The reason why many Christians will be tempted to dismiss the arguments
presented here is that we have said (out loud) that a godly man could
have been a slave owner. But this 'inflammatory' position is the very
point upon which the Bible speaks most directly, again and again. In
other words, more people will struggle with what we are saying at the
point where the Bible speaks most clearly. There is no exegetical
vagueness here. Not only is the Bible not politically correct, it was
not politically correct one hundred thirty years ago.
. . .
This entire issue of slavery is a wonderful issue upon which to
practice. Our humanistic and democratic culture regards slavery in
itself as a monstrous evil, and acts as though this were self-evidently
true. The Bible permits Christians to own slaves, provided they are
treated well. You are a Christian. Whom do you believe?" -- Doug Wilson,
Why are we writing about this? <
http://www.credenda.org/old/issues/vol4/them4-6.htm >

"Nowhere in the Bible, however, is slavery abolished as an institution
or spoken of as evil per se. What the Bible does say about slavery
reveals it to be a blessing or a curse, as well as a practice ordained
and regulated by God.
. . .
The inspired and inerrant Word of God declares that Abraham has been
given slaves by God as a blessing. & It is impossible to maintain that
slavery is evil on a biblical basis in light of these verses.
. . .
A slave owner who treats his slaves according to the biblical mandate is
a blessing to his charges. Examples of such masters abounded in the
South, as well as in Scripture.
. . .
Christian abolitionists were not only wrong in their reasoning, they
were actually guilty of encouraging sin. Paul exhorted slaves to love
their masters and serve them obediently, for this was pleasing to God
(Eph. 6:5-8; Col. 3:22-24). Rather than encouraging slaves to be
obedient and content in their position as the Bible instructs,
professing Christians were fomenting rebellion."  Gregory Dickison,
Moses on the XIII Amendment <
http://www.credenda.org/old/issues/vol4/magi4-6.htm >

"It explains Scriptures defense of a form of slavery against
evangelicals who are embarrassed by it." Canon Press advertisement for
Wilson's "Southern Slavery" pamphlet. <
http://www.canonpress.org/pages/culture.asp >

After:
"[S]slavery has always been an evil needing to be abolished." <
http://www.christkirk.com/BizarreCharges/PressReleases/SilencingDisent.asp >

"No member of Christ Church supports slavery."  Doug Jones, Daily New,
Nov.21, 2003

"The institution of slavery ... is sinful, evl." -- Doug Wilson, Daily
New, 9 Jan.2004

Notice that before the Canon Press flier slavery was a "wonderful issue"
upon which Wilson and the Credenda Agenda proudly spoke "out loud." The
bible "permits Christians to own slaves," slavery is not evil, and those
who oppose slavery arre "guilty of encouraging sin."

But after their views on slavery were made public, they said just the
opposite. Slavery is evil, and we should all just loosen our shoes a bit
and drink another beer.

Doug Wilson unsubscribed from vison2020, Greg Dickison quit talking
after his views were exposed, and Dale Courtney refused to talk about
the flier or slavery. But they haven't retreated, you understand.
They're just a lot quieter than they used to be.

Which is fine with me. But I do wonder why. Why are they unwilling to
speak "out loud" about the "wonderful issue" of slavery? And why are
they now so "embarrassed by it"?

Will Credenda Agenda remove its pro-slavery articles? Will Canon Press
stop advertising the "Southern Slavery" pamphlet? Will the
neo-confederates Steve Wilkins and George Grant not be featured speakers
at the "It'-Not-About-Slavery" Slavery Conference?"

I hope so. But until then, it is clear that Christ Church supports
slavery. And that contrary to Doug Jones' statement, there are plenty of
Christ Church members that support slavery. They all do. If they didn't,
they wouldn't go there.