[Vision2020] Marriage and the bible

Saundra Lund sslund@adelphia.net
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:22:18 -0800

Mr. Hillebrand wrote:
". . . God wouldn't want us to "pick and choose"  which of the Scriptures we
elevate to civil law and which we choose to ignore. . . Here are some things
that we really should consider:
. . .
* Marriage of a believer and a non-believer shall be forbidden.  (Gen 24:3;
Num 25:1-9; Ezra 9:12; Neh 10:30, 2Cor  6:14)"

Interesting you should mention this one.

When Steve Wilkins was asked what the Bible has to say about interracial
marriage during his "The Sin of Racism" presentation on 2/4, this was the
point he raised.  "Believers" of any "color" are free to marry, however a
"Believer" is NOT EVER free to marry an "Unbeliever" of *any* "color".

My understanding is that a "Believer" is not merely someone who believes in
God or a deity.  A "Believer" must also believe in a particular
flavor/interpretation of Christianity *only* (the Trinity; the Bible as
literal truth and historically accurate; feminism, equal and gay rights, and
abortion are abominations; slavery is Biblically mandated; theocracy is the
goal; etc) and all the rest of us fall into the category of "Unbelievers."
Or, perhaps Intoleristas  ;-)

Hence, it would seem to me that those who espouse a belief in that
particular flavor of Christianity would have a *very* small pool from which
to choose an "eligible" marital partner regardless of gender.

Sorry, it's hard for me to take someone like Steve Wilkins seriously.  He
said absolutely horrifyingly deplorable things about "pagan" Native
Americans and Muslims (they are an incredibly violent people because they
are unitarians and thus have no choice but to live by the sword) -- I don't
think I've ever in my life heard the word 'pagan' used so many times in just
a few minutes.  I don't think there were any Native Americans or Muslims
present, which was probably a good thing because the way he talked about
those cultures definitely qualified as "fighting words" (they literally made
me sick to my stomach) and I think the poor MPD officers present would have
definitely not had such a boring time.

Plus, IMHO, he's an *extremely* sorry excuse for a Southerner:  he spent a
fair amount to time extolling the virtues of Southern cuisine without once
mentioning the Rapture of Fried Okra.  What kind of Southerner could he
really be?!?!

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.