[Vision2020] Entertainment in Moscow

Pam Palmer ppalmer@moscow.com
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:38:37 -0800

--B_3159873719_9010190

Visionaries-

There=B9s some great entertainment in Moscow this week.  Depending on which
night you attend the Pulitzer Prize-winning play =B3Proof=B2, you can see eithe=
your new City Council member (John Dickinson) or the Pastor of Emmanuel
Lutheran Church (Dean Stewart) on stage at the Kenworthy.

Some of you may also be interested in The Human Stain, the Sunday movie at
the Kenworthy.  (A review is below.)

Thanks,
Pam
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PAMELA PALMER, Volunteer
Mailto:ppalmer@moscow.com
Film and Events Committee
Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre

http://www.kenworthy.org
To speak with a KPAC staff member,
call (208) 882-4127
Mailto:kpac@moscow.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pulitzer Prize-winning play, Proof, opens Wednesday

The Moscow Community Theatre=B9s production of the contemporary Pulitzer
Prize-winning drama Proof, by David Auburn, opens on Wednesday at the
Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre in Moscow, with a pre-show reception hoste=
by MaryJanesFarm and Moscow Realty, from 6:00 pm =AD 7:15 pm at Falling Moon
Tattoo Studio on Main Street. Thanks to Elsie Sakuma and Laura Aichle of Wo=
N=B9 Roll Catering for their spirit, creativity and assistance, Mikey=B9s Gyros
for the no-host bar, and Landgrove Coffee of Troy, Idaho for providing
freshly-roasted coffee.  Live music by Travis Silvers. The play begins at
7:30 pm.  Tickets available at BookPeople and TicketsWest.  Proof continues
through Sunday.

David Auburn=B9s Proof won the Pulitzer Prize in 2001, the same year that it
won Tony Awards for Auburn as playwright and Mary Louise Parker as best
actress.  On Broadway, Parker played Catherine, daughter of mathematical
genius Robert, and herself potentially brilliant in mathematics.  Kelly
Quinnett, known throughout the region for her performances in live theater,
in movies, and on television, plays the role of Catherine for the Moscow
Community Theatre.

Community members Dean Stewart, pastor of Emmanuel Lutheran Church in
Moscow, and John Dickinson, Moscow City Council member, share the role of
Robert.  Robert=B9s former graduate student Hal is played by John O=B9Hagan,
Master of Fine Arts student in Theatre at UI, and Michael Carpenter, a
Washington State University student majoring in English Education.  Isabell=
Whitfield, MFA student at UI, plays Catherine=B9s older sister Claire.  Erin
Palmer, a recent UI graduate in Psychology and Spanish, is Quinnett=B9s
understudy.

The title reflects the play=B9s themes in several ways.  While the existence
of a mathematical proof is central to the script, Catherine must also prove
to herself and to those around her the levels of both her father Robert=B9s
brilliance and his mental illness, and the extent to which she may have
inherited either.  At the same time, she is =B3proving=B2 (in the sense of
=B3testing=B2) her relationships with her sister Claire and with her father=B9s
former graduate student Hal.  Four characters search on stage for their own
=B3proof=B2: of the validity of their choices in life, of their relationships
with one another, of the relationship between genius and madness.
* * *
Moscow Community Theatre presents
Proof=20
by David Auburn
Winner of the 2001 Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award for Best Play

Directed by Pam Palmer

Wednesday thru Saturday, February 18 =AD 21 at 7:30 pm
Sunday, February 22 at 2 PM

Thank you to our sponsors for each performance:

Wednesday, Feb. 18- Moscow Realty
Cast:
Catherine - Kelly Quinnett
Robert - Dean Stewart
Hal - John O=B9Hagan
Claire - Isabella Whitfield

Thursday, Feb. 19- Presnell-Gage Accounting and Consulting
Cast:
Catherine - Kelly Quinnett
Robert - Dean Stewart
Hal - John O=B9Hagan
Claire - Isabella Whitfield

Friday, Feb. 20- Wells Fargo Home Mortgage, Jason Croston
Cast:
Catherine - Kelly Quinnett
Robert - John Dickinson
Hal - Michael Carpenter
Claire - Isabella Whitfield

Saturday, Feb. 21- Tim Kinkeade, Advantage America Mortgage
Cast:
Catherine - Kelly Quinnett
Robert - Dean Stewart
Hal - Michael Carpenter
Claire - Isabella Whitfield

Sunday, Feb. 22- Gail Byers Real Estate
Cast:
Catherine - Kelly Quinnett
Robert - John Dickinson
Hal - John O=B9Hagan
Claire - Isabella Whitfield

Ticket outlets
BookPeople of Moscow
TicketsWest in the North Campus Center
KPAC box office, an hour before each performance

To reserve tickets, call 208-885-7212, 1-800-325-7328, or on-line at
www.ticketswest.com

$15 general admission
$10 Students/Seniors
$5 with ACTF/NW Drama Conference registration badge

Contains adult language
* * *
Kenworthy Film Society presents

The Human Stain (R)
Starring Anthony Hopkins, Nicole Kidman, Ed Harris, and Gary Sinise
Sunday, February 22 at 7:00 PM
Tickets $5 adults

Review by Mark Sells, Film Threat

Based on the best seller by Philip Roth, =B3The Human Stain=B2 is a
provocative illustration of public opinion at its worst. When an
esteemed classics professor is accused of a making a racist statement,
rather than analyze the facts and proceed cautiously, the university
forces him to resign. His career, marriage, and life are forever in
ruin. Academy Award winning director Robert Benton (Kramer vs. Kramer)
assembles a terrific cast to relay the allegory of Coleman Silk, a
private man whose life is altered by a false sense of righteousness.
Tragically engaging, =B3The Human Stain=B2 is a somber look at cause and
effect; in particular, it=B9s a parable about how a society=B9s beliefs and
morals can mask the truth, sometimes for an entire lifetime.

Coleman Silk is a well-respected professor and dean of the prestigious
Athena College in small town New England. ... At 71 and nearing
retirement, however, things take an unexpected turn. During a routine
class, Silk innocently refers to two absent students as =B3spooks,=B2
ignorant of fact that the two students are black. Immediately, the
allegations of racism force Coleman to resign. But in the process, his
friends turn against him, his wife passes away from the strain, and he
begins a tumultuous affair with a 34-year-old janitor and postal worker
named Faunia Farley. ...

Living in misery after the death of his wife, Coleman seeks out Nathan
Zuckerman, a famed local author, who lives a quiet life in seclusion.
Knowing Zuckerman has been struggling to find that next great idea,
Coleman offers his story to help. Despite initial reservations,
Zuckerman comes to admire Coleman, learns about his passionate affair
with Faunia and his previous loves, his career as a boxer, his affinity
for big band music, as well as those who have grown to despise him. As
tension rises and secrets are revealed, many confrontations are
inevitable =AD between past and present. And on a wintery, back country
road, life and death are a human stain away. ...
* * *

--B_3159873719_9010190

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Entertainment in Moscow</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Visionaries-<BR>
<BR>
There&#8217;s some great entertainment in Moscow this week. &nbsp;Depending=
 on which night you attend the Pulitzer Prize-winning play &#8220;Proof&#822=
1;, you can see either your new City Council member (John Dickinson) or the =
Pastor of Emmanuel Lutheran Church (Dean Stewart) on stage at the Kenworthy.=
 &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
Some of you may also be interested in The Human Stain, the Sunday movie at =
the Kenworthy. &nbsp;(A review is below.)<BR>
<BR>
Thanks,<BR>
Pam<BR>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<BR>
PAMELA PALMER, <B>Volunteer<BR>
</B>Mailto:ppalmer@moscow.com<BR>
Film and Events Committee &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre<BR>
<BR>
http://www.kenworthy.org<BR>
To speak with a KPAC staff member, <BR>
call (208) 882-4127<BR>
Mailto:kpac@moscow.com<BR>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#800000"><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><BR>
Pulitzer Prize-winning play, <I>Proof</I>, opens Wednesday<BR>
</FONT></FONT><BR>
The Moscow Community Theatre&#8217;s production of the contemporary Pulitze=
r Prize-winning drama <I>Proof</I>, by David Auburn, opens on Wednesday at t=
he Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre in Moscow, with a pre-show reception hos=
ted by MaryJanesFarm and Moscow Realty, from 6:00 pm &#8211; 7:15 pm at Fall=
ing Moon Tattoo Studio on Main Street. Thanks to Elsie Sakuma and Laura Aich=
le of <I>Wok N&#8217; Roll Catering</I> for their spirit, creativity and ass=
istance, Mikey&#8217;s Gyros for the no-host bar, and Landgrove Coffee of Tr=
oy, Idaho for providing freshly-roasted coffee. &nbsp;Live music by Travis S=
ilvers. The play begins at 7:30 pm. &nbsp;Tickets available at BookPeople an=
d TicketsWest. &nbsp;<I>Proof</I> continues through Sunday.<BR>
<BR>
David Auburn&#8217;s <I>Proof</I> won the Pulitzer Prize in 2001, the same =
year that it won Tony Awards for Auburn as playwright and Mary Louise Parker=
 as best actress. &nbsp;On Broadway, Parker played Catherine, daughter of ma=
thematical genius Robert, and herself potentially brilliant in mathematics. =
&nbsp;Kelly Quinnett, known throughout the region for her performances in li=
ve theater, in movies, and on television, plays the role of Catherine for th=
e Moscow Community Theatre.<BR>
<BR>
Community members Dean Stewart, pastor of Emmanuel Lutheran Church in Mosco=
w, and John Dickinson, Moscow City Council member, share the role of Robert.=
 &nbsp;Robert&#8217;s former graduate student Hal is played by John O&#8217;=
Hagan, Master of Fine Arts student in Theatre at UI, and Michael Carpenter, =
a Washington State University student majoring in English Education. &nbsp;I=
sabella Whitfield, MFA student at UI, plays Catherine&#8217;s older sister C=
laire. &nbsp;Erin Palmer, a recent UI graduate in Psychology and Spanish, is=
 Quinnett&#8217;s understudy.<BR>
<BR>
The title reflects the play&#8217;s themes in several ways. &nbsp;While the=
 existence of a mathematical proof is central to the script, Catherine must =
also prove to herself and to those around her the levels of both her father =
Robert&#8217;s brilliance and his mental illness, and the extent to which sh=
e may have inherited either. &nbsp;At the same time, she is &#8220;proving&#=
8221; (in the sense of &#8220;testing&#8221;) her relationships with her sis=
ter Claire and with her father&#8217;s former graduate student Hal. &nbsp;Fo=
ur characters search on stage for their own &#8220;proof&#8221;: of the vali=
dity of their choices in life, of their relationships with one another, of t=
he relationship between genius and madness. &nbsp;<BR>
<B>* * *<BR>
Moscow Community Theatre presents <FONT SIZE=3D"5"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#800000"><FONT SIZE=3D"7">Proof</FONT></FONT></B><FONT CO=
LOR=3D"#800000"><FONT SIZE=3D"7"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"5">by David Auburn<BR>
</FONT></FONT>Winner of the 2001 Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award for Best Pla=
y<BR>
<BR>
Directed by Pam Palmer<BR>
<BR>
<B>Wednesday thru Saturday, February 18 &#8211; 21 at 7:30 pm<BR>
Sunday, February 22 at 2 PM<BR>
</B><BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#800000">Thank you to our sponsors for each performance:<BR>
</FONT><B><BR>
</B><U>Wednesday, Feb. 18-<B> Moscow Realty<BR>
</B></U><I>Cast:<BR>
</I><B>Catherine </B>-<B> </B>Kelly Quinnett<BR>
<B>Robert</B> - Dean Stewart<BR>
<B>Hal</B> - John O&#8217;Hagan<BR>
<B>Claire</B> - Isabella Whitfield<BR>
<BR>
<U>Thursday, Feb. 19- <B>Presnell-Gage Accounting and Consulting<BR>
</B></U><I>Cast:<BR>
</I><B>Catherine </B>-<B> </B>Kelly Quinnett<BR>
<B>Robert</B> - Dean Stewart<BR>
<B>Hal</B> - John O&#8217;Hagan<BR>
<B>Claire</B> - Isabella Whitfield<BR>
<BR>
<U>Friday, Feb. 20- <B>Wells Fargo Home Mortgage, Jason Croston<BR>
</B></U><I>Cast:<BR>
</I><B>Catherine </B>-<B> </B>Kelly Quinnett<BR>
<B>Robert</B> - John Dickinson<BR>
<B>Hal</B> - Michael Carpenter<BR>
<B>Claire</B> - Isabella Whitfield<BR>
<BR>
<U>Saturday, Feb. 21- <B>Tim Kinkeade, Advantage America Mortgage<BR>
</B></U><I>Cast:<BR>
</I><B>Catherine </B>-<B> </B>Kelly Quinnett<BR>
<B>Robert</B> - Dean Stewart<BR>
<B>Hal</B> - Michael Carpenter<BR>
<B>Claire</B> - Isabella Whitfield<BR>
<BR>
<U>Sunday, Feb. 22- <B>Gail Byers Real Estate<BR>
</B></U><I>Cast:<BR>
</I><B>Catherine </B>-<B> </B>Kelly Quinnett<BR>
<B>Robert</B> - John Dickinson<BR>
<B>Hal</B> - John O&#8217;Hagan<BR>
<B>Claire</B> - Isabella Whitfield<BR>
<BR>
<B>Ticket outlets<BR>
</B>BookPeople of Moscow<BR>
TicketsWest in the North Campus Center<BR>
KPAC box office, an hour before each performance<BR>
<BR>
To reserve tickets, call 208-885-7212, 1-800-325-7328, or on-line at www.ti=
cketswest.com<BR>
<BR>
$15 general admission<BR>
$10 Students/Seniors<BR>
$5 with ACTF/NW Drama Conference registration badge<BR>
<BR>
Contains adult language<BR>
* * *<BR>
<B>Kenworthy Film Society presents<BR>
</B><BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#800000"><H2>The Human Stain (R)<BR>
</H2></FONT>Starring Anthony Hopkins, Nicole Kidman, Ed Harris, and Gary Si=
nise<BR>
<B>Sunday, February 22 at 7:00 PM<BR>
</B>Tickets $5 adults<BR>
<BR>
Review by Mark Sells, <I>Film Threat<BR>
</I><BR>
Based on the best seller by Philip Roth, &#8220;The Human Stain&#8221; is a=
 <BR>
provocative illustration of public opinion at its worst. When an <BR>
esteemed classics professor is accused of a making a racist statement, <BR>
rather than analyze the facts and proceed cautiously, the university <BR>
forces him to resign. His career, marriage, and life are forever in <BR>
ruin. Academy Award winning director Robert Benton (Kramer vs. Kramer) <BR>
assembles a terrific cast to relay the allegory of Coleman Silk, a <BR>
private man whose life is altered by a false sense of righteousness. <BR>
Tragically engaging, &#8220;The Human Stain&#8221; is a somber look at caus=
e and <BR>
effect; in particular, it&#8217;s a parable about how a society&#8217;s bel=
iefs and <BR>
morals can mask the truth, sometimes for an entire lifetime.<BR>
<BR>
Coleman Silk is a well-respected professor and dean of the prestigious <BR>
Athena College in small town New England. ... At 71 and nearing <BR>
retirement, however, things take an unexpected turn. During a routine <BR>
class, Silk innocently refers to two absent students as &#8220;spooks,&#822=
1; <BR>
ignorant of fact that the two students are black. Immediately, the <BR>
allegations of racism force Coleman to resign. But in the process, his <BR>
friends turn against him, his wife passes away from the strain, and he <BR>
begins a tumultuous affair with a 34-year-old janitor and postal worker <BR=

named Faunia Farley. ...<BR>
<BR>
Living in misery after the death of his wife, Coleman seeks out Nathan <BR>
Zuckerman, a famed local author, who lives a quiet life in seclusion. <BR>
Knowing Zuckerman has been struggling to find that next great idea, <BR>
Coleman offers his story to help. Despite initial reservations, <BR>
Zuckerman comes to admire Coleman, learns about his passionate affair <BR>
with Faunia and his previous loves, his career as a boxer, his affinity <BR=

for big band music, as well as those who have grown to despise him. As <BR>
tension rises and secrets are revealed, many confrontations are <BR>
inevitable &#8211; between past and present. And on a wintery, back country=
 <BR>
road, life and death are a human stain away. ...<BR>
* * *<BR>
</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>