[Vision2020] Lollardy, academic incest, and Nick's Trinity challenge

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:10:43 -0800

Dear Visionaries:

Those of you who do not wish to enroll in my brief online course in medieval
Christian heresies should tap the delete key now.  I warn you: I will not be
talking about boogers, farts, or breasts in this post.  I also won't bring
up the subject of goats.  I might shill a bit for The Church of Auntie
Establishment -- tithes are down this week; I only found 85 cents when I
vacuumed the sofa -- but, otherwise, I will be sticking to the subject of
what I see as the dangers inherent in self-perpetuating do-it-yourself
theology.

Inspired by Nick Gier's critique, I took the dys-Pepsi challenge and read
Doug Jones' musings on the jolly, frolicky Trinity,
http://www.credenda.org/issues/15-4thema.php?type=print.  I tried to
understand Jones' assertion that "[t]he Trinity is who we would all
naturally long to be connected to, an intriguing, brilliant, playful,
frightening, intoxicating God."  I tried, but I failed.  Fear of God is, of
course, standard stuff, and, some say, the beginning of wisdom, but I'm not
comfortable with the idea of an intoxicating and playful deity.  I
understand the pull of charismatic religion, but unlike Job, I wouldn't care
to be on the receiving end of one of the Almighty's hilarious pranks.  I
just don't get the feeling that God would be laughing *with* me.

Pressing on, Jones explains that:

"The Trinity is the name that the Christian God gives Himself in history.
This one God's name is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit _ three unique persons.
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are the source of the personal and personality,
a One but also a community. Ultimate reality is not mere matter or physical
force but a relationship between persons, a mysterious oneness of loyal
friends, of family."

Obviously, I'm not a Trinitarian.  One god without three unique
personalities is quite enough for me.  But Jones' position, as Nick Gier has
explained, is not classical Trinitarianism.  I'm inclined to fall back on my
knowledge of medieval Catholic heresies and say instead that it's verging on
semi-Arianism (the Son is of a like substance to the Father, but he isn't
the Father).  But Jones is not a semi-Arian; he believes in the divinity of
Jesus without any ifs, ands, or qualifiers.  I also doubt that either he or
Doug Wilson would admit to being polytheists even though Jones' piece seems
to suggest that they worship a tripartite God.  So the question for me is,
in the world of DIY theology, what exactly are the Wilsonites?  Do any of
the medieval heresies fit?

Are they Waldenses?  No.  The Waldenses embraced poverty, denounced all
lying as a sin, and believed that the validity of the sacraments depended on
the worthiness of the priest.  Albigensians?  Probably not.  The
Albigensians were dualists.  They maintained that evil was equal in power to
good, and that the former was responsible for the body and the latter for
the spirit.  Pelagians?  No way.  The Pelagians believed that people are
basically good and that we have control over our own destiny.  No original
sin.  No predestination.  I suppose the Wilsonites could be
quasi-Antinomians.  Antinomianism -- the idea that good works don't lead to
salvation, but neither do evil deeds prohibit it -- is a kind of precursor
to the Doctrine of Election.  Still, close, but no cigar.

Okay, what about Lollardy?  That was a popular medieval heresy and one of
the roots of Protestantism.  The Lollards believed that Christianity should
be based on the Bible.  They believed that everyone should have access to a
Bible written in his or her own vernacular language rather than Latin, and
that everyone ought to be allowed interpret the Bible's meaning for him or
herself.  That might fit, but then judging from the faculty of the New St.
Andrews, Mr. Wilson isn't so much a Lollard as a Lollard relativist -- you
don't get to interpret the Bible unless you're one of his relatives.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm largely in favor of Lollardy.  I think the idea of
every man his own priest (or every woman her own) is basically a good one.
I suppose I could claim to have some deep philosophical underpinning for
this belief, but the simple truth is that I just don't like to be told what
to do.  My motto has always been "You're not the boss of me."  But -- and as
the great Pee Wee Herman said, everyone's got a big but -- there are
potential problems with do-it-yourself theology, particularly if it's of the
self-referential small-world variety.  The NSA College, Greyfriars' Hall,
Credenda Agenda, Canon Press, CA's annual history conference, ad infinitum,
are comprised solely of Doug Wilson's friends and Doug Wilson's relations;
the same people repeating the same ideas over and over again without
criticism, without variety, and without dissent.  The dangers of academic
incest are well-known.  Logical inconsistency.  Fallacious argument.
Delusion.  Narcissism.

What goes on in Wilson, Inc., isn't academic inquiry; it's log rolling.
Pluralism might be a dirty word at the NSA, but if you want a strong
faculty, you need to practice a little exogamy.  You need people who will
look at piece like "Spoiled by the Trinity" and really critique it.
Otherwise, it's kind of like painting in an unventilated room.  The finished
product might look good to you, but it doesn't seem so fine to those of us
on the outside who haven't been huffing the varnish.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment

PS: If any of you would like to earn a PhD in Thinkology from the academic
arm of The Church of Auntie Establishment, AKA The New Money-Spinning
Pyramid Scheme, please write the name of a medieval heresy (or the name of a
character from the cartoon show Gargoyles) on the back of a twenty-dollar
bill and mail it to me in a self-addressed stamped envelope.  Don't be
surprised, however, if your diploma looks suspiciously like a Garfield
Valentine from the discount bin at Tidyman's.  The church coffers won't be
full until I finish shaking out the kids' laundry.  Those young'uns leave
pennies in every pocket.

Get fast, reliable access with MSN 9 Dial-up. Click here for Special Offer!