[Vision2020] The Damage Done in this Community

LuJane Nisse publisher lujane@lataheagle.com
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 22:11:57 -0800

could most of these things (below) be taken care of through other means...
i.e. Power of Attorney, wills, Living Wills? The insurance thing, I don't
know about but I'd think that is an "insurance" issue? or is it law? I don't
know who it is that decides who can be put on one's insurance as "family".
I'd think the insurance company decides that.

Because we cannot participate in civil, legal marriage:
--when we have children and our relationship dissolves, laws about child
custody and parenting don't apply (and the children are not protected by
ensuring the support and access of both parents);
--when one of us is critically sick, the other is not the "spouse" with
rights to make medical decisions;
--we don't have access to benefits provided through Social Security that
married couples can count on in some cases of disability and death;
--unless a state specifically creates rights, we don't have access to
unemployment insurance if our spouse is relocated
--unless a state specifically creates rights, we can't get healthcare
through a spouse's employer, or education or other benefits related to a
spouse's employment.

and I know what you are saying if it create the same thing it is in effect
the same thing.... I just wonder if it would appease the Bible thumpers and
those so adamantly against "marriage" per se. If the end result is the same
and everyone (or the majority) is okay with it, wouldn't it be good?

Doesn't matter, however, what I think or what compromises I think might
work. It surely is not up to me. I would love for everyone to just "get
along"... you know go back to kindergarten and the sand box and re-learn
those rules.

Maybe in my lifetime??

LJ