[Vision2020] The Damage Done in this Community

amy smoucha asmoucha@hotmail.com
Fri, 06 Feb 2004 22:36:17 -0600

LuJane,

Your question is a really good one.  I think the many discussions about
marriage for gays & lesbians are going awry because we are not all taking
about the same things.  The idea of "marriage" covers at least three totally
independent institutions:  a civil, legal institution; a sacred institution
that is a sacrifice in many religions, and a cultural institution.

Gays and lesbians already participate in the cultural institution--we live
in couples, even have children, share finances, care for our elder family
members, buy houses, socialize and move around the world as a couple, grieve
. . . just like those in heterosexual relationships.

Some gays and lesbians would like to have access to the sacred institution
of marriage, and that, too is happening at some level.  Some churches
perform marriage or union ceremonies for gay & lesbian couples.  This
institution has many, many purposes--it makes the relationships sacred,
pursues a public blessing and the approval of family and friends, creates
the opportunity to make promises to each other and take vows . . .

It is the third institution--the civil, legal institution--that is on the
table.  I truly think the many people and elected officials who adamantly
oppose gay marriage really oppose the cultural and sacred institutions
expanding to include us, but the only thing they can control, at the moment,
is the civil institution.

Because we cannot participate in civil, legal marriage:
--when we have children and our relationship dissolves, laws about child
custody and parenting don't apply (and the children are not protected by
ensuring the support and access of both parents);
--when one of us is critically sick, the other is not the "spouse" with
rights to make medical decisions;
--we don't have access to benefits provided through Social Security that
married couples can count on in some cases of disability and death;
--unless a state specifically creates rights, we don't have access to
unemployment insurance if our spouse is relocated
--unless a state specifically creates rights, we can't get healthcare
through a spouse's employer, or education or other benefits related to a
spouse's employment.

If we create a separate legal institution, and it bestows *exactly* what
civil marriage bestows on other couples, we are effectively allowing gays
and lesbians to marry.

Hopefully in my lifetime,

Amy Smoucha