[Vision2020] Valentine's Day Fundraiser

amy smoucha asmoucha@hotmail.com
Fri, 06 Feb 2004 22:10:14 -0600

Donovan,

If your earlier point is that public benefits programs unfairly discriminate
against single people without children, I agree whole-heartedly, and I
misunderstood your post, and I apologize.  I thought you were commenting on
the "everyone" on assistance who "makes more" than you.  If you meant that
they should get the help, and you should too, again I misunderstood and I
apologize.

If you have a rejection letter, you understand my point--it's not easy to
get help, and we don't generously help people who are not able to fully
participate in the wage economy (i.e. if you don't work for wages full time
or close to it, you don't "deserve" food, housing, health care, etc.).  I
would be happy to talk to you about what happened, and I have information
about food stamp rules and ways to get help if you were incorrectly denied
assistance.  If you think they denied you incorrectly, I would like to
help--please email me off list.

You also may be a victim of the federal and state laws that say students (in
most instances) cannot get foodstamps.  I suspect that you and I are making
the same points--these programs are not generous or fair, and they should
be.

There are groups and organizations who work & lobby for better program rules
for food stamps and other programs.  One of them is the National Campaign
for Jobs and Income Supports-- www.nationalcampaign.org but their website is
down at the moment.  When these laws were passed--restricting food stamps
benefts for adults without dependents, insultingly called ABAWDs by policy
makers (able bodied adults without dependents)--many of us fought tooth and
nail.  It's been so long now since the laws were passed, that a quick web
search doesn't even turn up the papers and data about why the recent rules
are a bad idea.  But still you and I could write our state & federal
legislators and remind them of their mistakes!

Amy Smoucha