[Vision2020] The Divinity of Christ

Ron Smith ron_smith at md7.com
Tue Dec 28 16:26:26 PST 2004

Ms. Opyr says: "The first three gospels (and the excluded Book of
Thomas) sing a rather different tune about the divinity of Jesus."

Ms. Opyr, this is simply not true. While I have not read the gospel
according to Thomas, I believe that Thomas himself attested to the
divinity of Jesus. John 20:28 Thomas said to him [Jesus], "My Lord and
my God!"

As for the other gospels, Jesus is repeatedly called the Son of God.

Matthew 26:63-64 And the high priest said to Him, "I adjure You by the
living God, that You tell us whether You are the Christ, the Son of
God." Jesus said to him, "You have said it yourself."

Matthew 27:54 Now the centurion, and those who were with him keeping
guard over Jesus, when they saw the earthquake and the things that were
happening, became very frightened and said, "Truly this was the Son of
God!"

Mark 1:1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

Mark 3:11 Whenever the unclean spirits saw Him, they would fall down
before Him and shout, "You are the Son of God!"

Mark 15:39 When the centurion, who was standing right in front of Him,
saw the way He breathed His last, he said, "Truly this man was the Son
of God!"

Luke 1:35 The angel answered and said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come
upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for
that reason the holy Child shall be called the Son of God.

Luke 4:41 Demons also were coming out of many, shouting, "You are the
Son of God!" But rebuking them, He would not allow them to speak,
because they knew Him to be the Christ.

Luke 22:70 And they all said, "Are You the Son of God, then?" And He
[Jesus] said to them, "Yes, I am."

He is called other names as well which testify to his divinity - names
like "Christ", "Messiah", and "Lord".

It is better for you to simply reject the gospel that to poorly
represent it.

Proverbs 17:28 Even a fool, when he keeps silent, is considered wise;
When he closes his lips, he is considered prudent.