[Vision2020] Southern Slavery As It Was(n't)

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Fri Dec 10 13:15:53 PST 2004

Visionaires:

Well, I've reached the end of my string.  No more Ms. Nice Gal.  I won't even
elevate my feelings to the genteel level of plain speaking.

How unpleasant (but frankly not surprising) to know that Doug Wilson's
historically inaccurate, racist drivel is resonating with a bunch of Southern
bigots.  How nauseating that his Logos spin-off schools are preaching and teaching
the same ill-conceived, poorly written, cretinous garbage.  How typically
chicken shit for Doug to dodge reporters while commanding his lackeys to front for
him.  Of course, I have long since given up on the notion that any of the
Elders or employees of Christ Church, Inc., have the balls to insist that Doug
stand of his own hind legs and take responsibility for what he writes and says;
they're eunuchs, not for the sake of heaven, but for the sake of Doug.  Welcome
to medieval Catholicism, Wilson-style.  Soon, he'll have castrati in his
choir.

I know this is an old and tired debate on V2020, but I would remind
Visionaries that this asp (or, rather, ass) is still comfortably nestled in the bosom
of Moscow and as a consequence is to some extent our responsibility.  He's
still spreading his self-aggrandizing gospel, still peddling his perverted version
of Christianity, still buying up Main Street property, and still aligning
himself with neo-Confederate, theocratic hate-mongers.  In short, Doug is doing
his damnedest to preserve the illusion that North Idaho is a welcoming haven
for racist crackpots and religious freaks.  The upcoming Trinity fest (see the
Calendar of Events at http://www.christkirk.com/) is a splendid example of
Doug's latest plot to bilk the moronic yahoos who are foolish enough to pay for
the privilege to hang out with him and his pandering sidekicks. The sad and
sorry folks who pay money to listen to Doug's or Steve Wilkins ignorant
blatherings about history deserve what they get, but what about the rest of us?  I can
now begin to appreciate how the residents of Coeur d' Alene felt when Richard
Butler put on his dog and pony shows.

Let me be perfectly clear.  Moscow need not be embarrassed that Doug Wilson
and his deluded followers live in this area.  But if we foolishly indulge in
misguided intellectual generosity by ignoring him or pretending that this is an
issue of religious freedom, we are giving him legitimacy that he not only does
not deserve but that damages the reputation of our community.  We can no more
ignore Doug than Lewiston can ignore the whiff of toilet-paper making at
Potlatch.  The fetid settling ponds are all around us.

Somehow, I don't think Joan and I will be attending the "smoking lesson"
tonight at Bucer's after all.  While it amused us to think of sitting around with
a bunch of bearded, fat-bellied Anglophile losers, as they licked their cigars
and swished their brandy, the fun has now gone out of it for us.  I will take
my hacking jacket and Joan her silk smoking jacket and Shriner's fez
elsewhere.  These guys really aren't funny, and the odor of their pseudo-sanctity and
intellectual pretension would be far worse than the stench of cheap cigars.

And besides, we all know that contrary to Freud's claim, a cigar is not
always a cigar.  Sometimes, it's a Swisher Sweet.

Rose Huskey

"One cannot level one's moral lance at every evil in the universe. There are
just too many of them. But you can do something, and the difference between
doing something and doing nothing is everything." Daniel Berrigan