[Vision2020] Response to Pat Kraut

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Fri Dec 3 10:24:36 PST 2004

Pat, Nick et. al.

To point out what a bad guy Saddam was and all the suffering he inflicted, to
justify the killing of tens of thousands of Iraqis, with all the attendant
abuse and torture that happens on both sides in any war, is a strange kind of
logic that Pat might examine more closely if she really is trying to understand.

Of course Saddam was a brutal dictator.  Of course it would be wonderful if
we could go around the world and rid humanity of every dictator, of every
political and/or military group oriented towards oppression, war, human rights
violations, etc.  But the reality of the situation in each case must be examined,
the chances for success, and the human costs.
Saddam is gone.  But now in Iraq many Iraqis are in worse conditions then
before, and civil war between Sunni and Shiite is a reality, though of course the
Bush administration does not admit this.

One example is the plight of Christians in Iraq.  There were hundreds of
thousands of Christians in Iraq living with Muslims under Saddam with a surprising
amount of tolerance between each religious group.  Since the US invasion and
occupation, Christians are now facing a very dangerous situation.  The
situation for Christians in Iraq is worse.

The US use of military force has inflamed religious hatred in Iraq, and
hatred of the US, and has set in motion religious, political and social forces that
are very hard to control with no end in sight to the internal strife.  Saddam
was a brutal dictator in part because this was the only way to hold Iraq
together.  Iraq is not really a country formed due to an agreed upon alliance
between Kurd, Sunni and Shiite.  The country in part was formed due to brutal
European colonialism, Saddam was holding the country together with brutality, and
now the US is trying again to "colonize" this part of the world in the name of
freedom and democracy and stopping terrorism with even more brutality.  And
what an irony it is that the war we are fighting in Iraq has increased
terrorism in Iraq.

The odds that we can establish a true stable democracy in Iraq are very low,
and the war we are fighting is taking on a life of its own.  Thousands upon
thousands of Iraqis hate the US occupation of their country by the US, with
loved ones having been killed or abused in the US prosecution of the war, and now
will resist what the US is trying to force upon this country.  Of course many
of the dead and injured are due to the "insurgents," but the US inflicted dead
and injured and abused is a much larger number of Iraqis.

How can we win this war in Iraq?  Millions of Vietnamese were killed during
the Vietnam war.  Maybe if we killed millions of Iraqis, we could make them
submit.

This is like killing the patient to cure the illness.

Ted Moffett