[Vision2020] Re: Earlier question

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Tue Aug 31 11:36:28 PDT 2004

Ted,

In an earlier post, you said "condoning" multi-racial marriages was wrong then and is wrong now.  I trust you mean "condemning," if you then cite the marriage of your friends as an example for all of us to follow.

I'm glad you have friends who are able to provide you such enlightenment; I was beginning to fear that you were suffocating in the rarefied air of privilege, patriarchy, and prejudice.  I am also glad to hear that you don't ever want to see slavery again.  Of course, since you're a white American male, you won't . . . at least from the position
of being a slave.

Which, actually, illustrates my earlier point:  class privilege, patriarchy, and the kind of prejudice that would allow you to seriously advance the idea of happy Black slaves working in affectionate relationship with their kindly White owners has a way of insuring that while you might argue the wrong point regarding slavery, you'll never find your perceptions corrected by being a slave yourself.   Pretty comfortable position, from which you might well consider reading a point of view not informed by those in it with you.

keely emerine mix