[Vision2020] LMT 8/25/04 Moscow Chamber Rumors Denied

Tami Stinebaugh stin1624 at uidaho.edu
Wed Aug 25 14:28:13 PDT 2004

Melynda,

>From my perspective, I can really see both sides of this.  I try to keep out of most of the arguing that takes place on vision 2020 because it seems rather pointless most of the time, and nothing really gets accomplished.  I am a person who considers herself an independent but I typically lean to the left.  However, even though I usually agree with what is being said by the majority of vision 2020 posters, I tend to feel the need to be defensive of people on the right, even though I don't agree with what they are saying!  The point is that it seems that anybody who posts something from a religious/ conservative perspective, typically gets several emails quickly posted back that slams the door shut on what they are trying to say.  I personally like to hear from both sides because sometimes I don't understand AT ALL where they are coming from.  When vision 2020 gets a post with a perspective not typical of most active list members, I LIKE to read it.  It doesn't mean I agree w
ith it, but appreciate the insight and feel it gives more information about where both sides are coming from.  I don't typically agree with Pat Kraut for example, but hope she doesn't go away because I like to hear her perspective.  Does it mean I am a religious/right wing conservative?  Far from it!  I just enjoy the different point of view and the insight it gives me, and feel like she absolutely has the right to express her concerns and thoughts on all topics.  (That is not to say that I feel all right wing conservatives are represented by Pat Kraut either, she was the first one to come to mind)

My fear is that other vision 2020 members who lurk, and do not agree with the majority of the posts on this listserve, do not feel comfortable to speak their minds because of what generally happens to people who speak out against the majority.  Just like I said, I feel like I need to be defensive, and I don't even agree with "the other side"!  Most of the time, it is not typically the argument that is certain to come from list members that is most troubling, but the way in which the message is delivered.  It slams the door on any sort of discussion, conversation, or experience sharing and delivers the message that you either agree with us, or you shut up.  That is what I totally disagree with about this list.

If somebody posted a message about women being less than equal to men, or black people or gay people somehow being less than white or straight people, then I would emphatically disagree and certainly understand why people would respond in force, but I still respect their right to say so and actually would like to hear the reasoning behind such things.  Understanding the basis for such ideas is the only way we will ever learn, and perhaps make things better.  Insulting, name-calling, and belittling (even if "they" started it) is as childish as it sounds, does nothing to help the matter, and only makes the separation on vision 2020, and citizens of Moscow that much harder to overcome.  Sometimes the posters who squeak the loudest are the primary ones who get heard, and that is probably where the comments you posted below, came from.  Unfortunately, those who are the most brutal, insulting, and belittling with their posts, are the ones who are remembered and reflected in that a
rticle.  That's my opinion anyway;)

Tami Stinebaugh