[Vision2020] LMT 8/25/04 Moscow Chamber Rumors Denied

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 25 19:15:50 PDT 2004

I appreciate Tami's observations and, what's more, I agree with them.  I have a terrible temper, I admit it.  It doesn't take much to set me off.  Doug, Pat Kraut, David Douglas and others have posted things to this list that have forced me onto a narrow ledge in the inky blackness, wondering just why it is that I continue to believe in liberty, equality, and universal enfranchisement.  Wouldn't it just be better to take a big stick, beat the hell out of Frodo, and seize the One Ring?  Then I could happily dictate to the world until I was old and toothless, like Gollum.  Sure, it's a sick fantasy, but who doesn't occasionally want to be Queen for a Day?  Eventually, I expect someone would get tired of my 24/7 liberal paradise and push me into the old lava bath, but it would be fun while it lasted.

Fortunately, there is no One Ring.  People will talk.  In fact, you can't shut them up.  And that's a good thing.  I find that I sharpen my thinking more by listening to (and railing against) my enemies than I do by agreeing with my friends.  The key, I've found, is to maintain a sense of humor.  I listen better when I'm amused.  I think more clearly when I find something funny or incongruous or challenging in my opponent's argument.  Better a sound disagreement than knee-jerk support.

That said, in light of Dave Johnson's article and Janice McMillan's dismissive assessment of this list, I think it's important to point out that just because people might agree with one another politically, they don't necessarily agree with one another's communication style.  They don't necessarily agree on tactics.  I think this is especially true of people on the left.  Liberals are not monolithic; liberals have never been monolithic.  We are by definition iconoclasts.  Liberals are notorious for fighting among ourselves when we ought to be fighting against the right.  (How else could we have acquired our current minority government?  George Bush lost the popular vote, and poll after poll has shown that the vast majority of Americans are pro-choice, pro-labor, pro-universal health care, and, if not pro-gay marriage then at least pro-civil unions.  This is not the GOP platform; not by a long shot.  So why are we not governed by majority consensus?  Because we can't get our liberal shit together, that's why)

It would ill behoove me to call for civility on this list.  In the first place, I want to maintain my right to be rude.  Being rude is an essential part of being funny.  Sometimes, the Baptist preacher's wife needs to sit on a whoopee cushion.  It does her good.  Do I believe that it's possible to go too far?  Sure, and we all do it, left, right, and center.  My solution has been to use a Bozo-filter.  I use it a lot.  So much so (and on so many 2020 posters) that I noticed a few weeks ago that I was only getting one or two posts a day.  Half the list was on my Bozo filter!  So I took it off, and now I'm getting the unfiltered 2020, all the aggravations, all the amusement, all the wise observations and all the slack-jawed idiocy.  I'll see how long I can stand it, and then I'll readjust.  One day at a time, as those damned annoying twelve-steppers say.

I don't care if Janice McMillan wants to rail against the "garbage" she suspects is on Vision 2020.  Occasionally, this place is stinking midden.  But then, so is the Sunday editorial page in the Lewiston Morning Tribune.  Six letters about John Kerry's war medals.  Ten letters about the inerrancy of the Bible.  Five letters about the idiocy of those who believe in the inerrancy of the Bible.  A complaint about the smell from the EKO recycling center.  Complaints about loose dogs, fast drivers, Jim Fisher, high gas prices, pro-lifers, pro-choicers, and, always, one lonely letter about the dangers of thyroid.  Let's be honest -- it's not Vision 2020 that's on Ms. McMillan's nerves; it's the world.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment