[Vision2020] Slavery, General Lee, Church, and Our Fair City

Melynda Huskey mghuskey at msn.com
Tue Aug 24 13:02:46 PDT 2004

Recognizing fully that on an unmoderated list discussion will go where it
wishes, I'd still like to suggest that we are straying into familiar,
well-defined areas of previous disagreement, where everybody already knows
what to say and how to say it, and it's not possible for us to make much
progress.

For me, the central question that's emerging from all these discussions is
this: how do we, as a community, see ourselves?  Do we want to be locked in
immobile conflict, with endless provocations thrown down to affront
adversaries, where the most extreme positions are affirmed as if there were
no alternatives, where everyone must take a side (and always the same side)?

Or we could choose an equally sterile alternative and ignore the serious
differences being expressed in this conflict, pretend there's nothing really
going on, that we are all "nice" people who can get along without any need
to acknowledge our troubles at all:  we're all human, aren't we?  Let's
emphasize our similarities rather than our differences.  Let's not be
divisive.

Neither approach is doing us much good right now.  We have very serious
questions about the future of our town before us.  We've got to find a way
productively to address the concerns people have expressed about the Chamber
of Commerce, about the future of a vibrant and diverse religious community
in Moscow, about race relations, about public and private education, about
gay and lesbian citizens, about the freedom of religion, about the safety of
individuals (whether county commissioners or high school students) to hold
and express unpopular points of view, and about the accountability of
elected officials.

I invite anyone who shares these concerns--from any position on the broad
spectrum of views in Moscow--to contact me off-list.  Let's talk about ways
to help our community address our differences more productively.

Melynda Huskey