[Vision2020] Re: oversight=authority?

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Sat Aug 14 17:52:05 PDT 2004

Dan wrote:
"I'm sure they are open to oversight from the MCA (which is more political than
Christ Church could ever hope to be) on certain issues."

Not that I'm speaking for either of the Council members or for MCA (no, I'm not
a member), but I doubt very much that either Cheney or Dickinson would agree
that they are open to MCA oversight.  Input, sure, but oversight -- I seriously
doubt it.

Three other points I'd like to make:
1-  Open endorsement of candidates is an entirely different animal than secret
oversight of elected officials by special interest groups;
2-  MCA never claimed to *not* have a political agenda, something the Christ
Church hierarchy claims on a regular basis;
3-  MCA, I believe, is organized and recognized as a 501(c)(4) non-profit
political group -- they are ***allowed*** to be political.  Christ Church, OTOH,
takes all the benefits of 501(c)(3) status without ever having applied (which
they aren't required to do because they are a "church").  As such, Christ Church
is expressly prohibited from the type of political activities MCA is allowed,
activities Christ Church has apparently engaged in nonetheless.  MCA is
following the rules set up by the federal government; Christ Church apparently
thinks they are above "secular" laws.

Do you still wonder where's the outcry?

HTH,
Saundra Lund