[Vision2020] Re: oversight=authority?

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 14 17:28:14 PDT 2004

Mr Ryan writes:

>"Is the post below the email that you want me to respond to?  If so, I see
>only one question for me, which I will answer.  I don't think your anology
>of walking in on a rape is of the same nature of which we are speaking.
>Rape is a crime, in our case no crime has been committed."

You are correct Ted that the crime is not nearly as sever. Nonetheless, yes,
Mr. Kimmel may have committed a crime IF, he either knew that the statements
made by CC were false to get Tax Credits, or he was on the payroll of CC
when he made the decision. It is State law that he recuse himself from the
decision making process. He did not recuse himself in the original hearing
to give a tax credit to CC. Upon the appeal, he sought legal council, he was
told he needed to recuse himself. The only argument that Kimmel could make
is that he "didn't know", but this is no legal defense.

Mr. Ryan continues:

"But that isn't even the point, why are we allowing this to continue on the
basis of documents obtained falsely?

Well, Ted, like I pointed out, it is already written in the CC constitution
that all members are obedient to the government of CC. Other churches do not
demand this level of obedience, nor do they view Priests and Pastors as
absolute authority figures. Mr. Kimmel may have many conflicts of interest
when it comes to issues facing the church and county government. If Kimmel
MUST do what another person says, and that person says, "Vote for my
interests" that is a conflict of interest. Kimmel faces repercussions if he
doesn't vote in their favor, or may feel that he may face repercussions for
not voting for his spiritual leaders interests. I mean think about it, if
your Priest asked for money, would you feel comfortable saying "No" to him.
I wouldn't, and would step aside as the law says.

Mr. Ryan says:

"And really, what is so damning about oversight?  What do you think people
go to
>church for?"

Oversight is a great thing, but that is for "the people", not for one man,
as the state law dictates. Are you comfortable with a single individual
being able to tell a judge how to vote? I am not, this is why people HATE
special interests so much.

"And if this oversight was a problem, you would think that it
>would have manifest itself in Mr. Kimmel's decisions long before now since
>this would have occurred in '99 and you all are now just questioning this
>and
>only because of the minutes. It seems if the problem is as grave as you
>say, it would have been apparent long before now, wouldn't it?  Why is the
>statement on CC's website so important now, did they just post it, or has
>it
>been there for a while?"

Yes and No,

First, I didn't move back to Moscow until after he was appointed, I was gone
for about 8 years. So I didn't know Kimmel back then.

Second, Kimmel was the sole Freshman Republican Commissioner. So he was not
noticed, he had no power or authority to do anything until after the
election of 2002. He didn't get elected to Chair until 2003. It was not long
after that we noticed what he was doing.

So yes, maybe, maybe not, he would be doing what he is now if he could in
1999. But considering he didn't have any influence until recently, it is
hard to say. Most people don't pay attention to freshmen politicians that
have no bearing on the outcome of any vote.

The minutes would not be an issue had Kimmel not used his position to give
CC an illegal tax break. That is why it is important. A crime was committed,
and someone found evidence against him.

>"I have said more then maybe I should on this topic, I originally posted in
>order to point out the total lack of respect that has been shown to CC
>folk."

I more or less feel sympathy for the followers of CC. I don't hate them. I
see them at the Library, in the store, and all over town. I just think that
they are seriously misguided, and I pray that they are freed from the cult
in which they are enslaved. Most of them are really nice people, and easy to
talk with. One was even my waiter for about 3 years before he graduated from
St. Andrews.
I think if you are really worried about the treatment of CC Folk, as you
state, you would be doing something about it, like showing them that Mr.
Wilson is misguiding them.

To me, the issues is NOT to what church Kimmel belongs. The issue is WHY
Kimmel stayed on the BOE and voted on an issue effecting a business that was
paying him. He is employed by CC, and he voted on an issue regarding them.
That is ILLEGAL.

The other people I feel sorry for are the ones that fall for the behavior of
politicians. They expect the evil ones to come up to them and step on their
toes and say "Gimme what I want", and they expect the nice ones to say all
the right things, be nice to them, and make them feel good about themselves,
when in fact it is the opposite.

Mr. Kimmel has an amazing gift to make people feel good about themselves.
You go talk to him for about ten minutes and you think the guy is the
sweetest, nicest, most wonderful man. You cannot imagine him doing anything
wrong, ever. He just kills you with kindness. He strikes you as big Teddy
Bear with no faults and you want to believe everything he tells you as
absolute truth. Kimmel knows this, and that is how he has become so
influential in life and where he is today.

What bothers me, is that people that know him, and are friends with him, are
unwilling to accept the fact that this man is violating the law because he
is so nice to them and kind to everyone. But the fact remains, it is there
in black and white, read the law. He voted on something in which he had a
conflict of interest, and is not answering questions about it.

So Kids, the lesson here is, "Just be really nice and you can get away with
anything you want". People don't want to accept that their best friend can
make mistakes. They simply believe all criminals are mean people with fangs,
a tail, horns, and no manners, Mr. Kimmel, certainly has none of these
aspects. And people justify the many claims against him by saying "They just
don't like his church and are so attacking him, and that is unfair."

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold

PS, If you like everything a politician is saying, you are listening to a
lie