[Vision2020] Property Tax Increases

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 21:18:33 -0700

John writes:

"Tom Trail has also stated that sometimes local assessors are thought of as
‘generous” by the state.  However, since market values are not specifically
known by either entity, having a state commission determine statutory
requirements, and override local control, seems heavy handed.  Plus, what
purpose is served?  How does the state, or whatever, gain by doing this?"

It is very easy for the state to gain from increasing the local taxes. The
state pays out according to the need of each county. If the county raises
more than enough taxes, it can lower state taxes and get the credit. It can
also put revenue to special projects and pork rather then needs of the local
communities. Do you honestly think that BUsh would not take advantage of
raising state taxes if he could then get credit for slashing Federal Taxes.
Why not? Reagan got away with slashing Federal Taxes and forcing state and
local governments to raise taxes.

I do not think that State Government should ever have the legal right to
raise local county and city taxes. I do think it would be OK if they could
lower them though. This only to prevent discriminatory practices.

Donovan J Arnold