[Vision2020] Property Tax Increases

Art Deco aka W. Fox deco@moscow.com
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 18:21:47 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_006F_01C42A29.01284AA0

John, et al,

John writes: "However, since market values are not specifically known by either
entity, having a state commission determine statutory requirements, and override
local control, seems heavy handed.  Plus, what purpose is served?  How does the
state, or whatever, gain by doing this?"

The following is from Boundary County memories so it might be out of date or in
error:

One thing the state does is to check the methodology the local assessor is using
to determine property valuations.  Although, as Tom Trail has nicely taken the
time to point out, Idaho does not require real property sales price information
to be revealed as many other states do, reasonably accurate estimates can be
made from examining asking prices, loan documents, personal responses from
people in involved in real estate transactions, etc.  I believe the state sets
the methodology that the county assessor is to use and examines whether, in
fact, the county assessor is correctly applying that methodology.

[I recently sold some property in Boundary County.  Immediately after the sale
was recorded, the assessor sent me a letter asking what my sales price had been.
Giving this information is voluntary.]

Another problem that occurs is that some county assessors apply the methodology
in such a manner that the effect is to deliberately factor down the market value
for all properties by a certain percent.  I believe that in the 1980's, Kootenai
County property was grossly undervalued.  After the state made an audit and
after a very nasty fight, the county was forced to raise valuations by a very
large margin.

Another area of concern for the state is whether the county assessor is being
evenhanded in applying his valuation work.

When I moved back to Boundary County in the 1981, I found that certain types of
properties were valued differently depending on whether the owner was a county
resident, or if not, how far away the owner lived.  Valuations for out-of-state
nonresident owned Moyie riverfront property, for example, were about 1.5 - 2.5
times higher than those owned by county residents.

It is important to remember that almost all of the assessor's tasks are driven
by statute and regulations enacted under statute.  As with any writing, statutes
and regulations are open to different interpretations.  By law, the state, after
procedural safeguards, has the last word.

This example may be in error but it will give you some idea about the effect of
the state's action in raising county evaluations.  Suppose the state orders a
county assessor to raise his valuations by 20%.  The practical effect of this is
to raise the amount of taxes than are/can be collected by various taxing
districts/agencies when those taxes are based on a percentage of assessed
valuation.

As an aside, when we first moved here, we believed we had a property valuation
problem.  We went to the assessor's office, gave them some information, they
investigated, and made an adjustment.  We were treated with courtesy, frankness,
and respect.  We felt that our inquiry was fairly and professionally handled.

I don't know how accurate the above is or whether it has been helpful.  I would
welcome comment from someone better informed than I.

Wayne

Art Deco  (Wayne Fox)
deco@moscow.com