[Vision2020] Pat's Refusal......an observation about Wayne's response.

David Douglas ddouglas@pacsim.com
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 15:50:39 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_004D_01C42A13.E619C410

Wayne,

Your last post is an interesting answer to Pat's response, (or
non-response, if you please), given a previous exchange you were part
of.  A few weeks ago I asked for some support to your assertion that
solar technology was bought up by oil companies to be put on the shelf.
You were sure it had happened, but didn't want to take the time to find
the specifics.  Here is one of your responses:

This occurred in the early 70's when I lived in southern California and
was tangentially involved in alternate energy sources at various land
use planning conferences. Perhaps a search of the LA Times might answer
your questions. As I recall, questions were asked several times during
the 70's about the disappearance of these technologies.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to pursue this information.
Maybe Mr. Force can find some sources if he chooses.

Other responses included an example of the butter lobby forcing the
margarine producers not to color their product, and a description of the
context of the times (this being the first paragraph):

The solar example you are suspicious of and the reason for your
suspicion may be that you did not fully understand the historical
context, particularly in the 1970's U.S. and particularly southern
California.  Two large Arab oil withholding actions created gasoline
shortages that then were fueled by panic that created lines at gasoline
stations that were sometimes over a mile long.  This occurred twice with
each shortage lasting several months.  I am sure you can imagine the
impact on people's lives in a nation that was/is so highly dependent on
automobile transportation.

(Actually, while not as old as I infer that you are, I was old enough at
the time to have a driver's license and to join the rest of the crowd in
line).

The point is you refused (for whatever reason) to answer a direct
request for data supporting your assertion, and yet this didn't bother
you at all.  At that point it wasn't worth the bother to me.  You
weren't going to provide specifics, and you were going to maintain for
that your original point (or perhaps some other similar point) was
valid.  I didn't pursue it further.  In this context, your exhortation
to patience and kindness seems rather ironic:

But perhaps we should be more kind and patient.  Some people, because
their background, because of the quality of their education, and/or
because of their religious beliefs, do not understand the necessity or
desirability of citing verifiable evidence to make their assertions
probable.

Or are just certain follow-up questions "legitimate"? Or maybe both you
and Pat (and anyone else) are free on this forum to answer or not answer
direct questions without being guilty of your sweeping generalizations
and letting other's opinions fall where they may.

David Douglas