[Vision2020] Oil and the UN

Mike Weatherford fueledbyramen@hotmail.com
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:28:05 -0700

  Interesting idea. The UN is corrupt, and so we should just let the corrupt
US take care of Iraq? On a certain level, thats an appealing thought; I've
never been a fan of fixing beaurocracy by adding more beaurocracy to it.
However, I'm not sure the UN could be more corrupt/incompetant than the US,
in this situation. Maybe it (the UN) would be slightly more focused on
actually stabalizing the situation, and less focused on liberating the
Iraqis even if it kills them (or drives them into debt so deep they have no
choice but to sell their oil to us at a discounted "liberator" rate.) But I
guess we'll never know.

  For the record, if you look at the byline on the article ("Kenneth R.
Timmerman is a senior writer for Insight and author of The French Betrayal
of America, just released from Crown Forum"), you can get a bit of an idea
of where he is coming from. I'm not going to say you can get unbiased news
elsewhere, but this guy is so far from unbiased news, he can't see it with a
telescope on a clear day. I wouldn't hesitate to say the same thing about
the rest of the site, but I could've just been reading the wrong parts.

Another interesting article from the same site:
http://www.insightmag.com/news/2004/04/27/FairComment/Fair-Commentdems.Must.Pass.Patriot.Test-658722.shtml

  My favorite line: "Those of us who believe in God, who believe in
America's innate goodness, who believe in marriage and family, honesty and
morality, and all of the other great things that America has always stood
for are the patriotic Americans. And those who don't believe in these values
simply are not."

  That was easy. Patriotism isn't loving America even though it does stupid,
corrupt, unforgiveable things, in the hope that it will change. Patriotism
is about thinking that we're living in a Norman Rockwell painting.

  Sorry for the change of subject there. That just caught my eye. The
Patriotism article just screams "Make fun of me!"

-Mike Weatherford