[Vision2020] Case closed: Future lawyers in training -- Moscow school wins mock trial competition against Bishop Kelly

Don Coombs mushroom@moscow.com
Fri, 09 Apr 2004 16:50:52 -0700

  Art Deco aka W. Fox wrote:
> Don, et al,
>
> I am afraid we disagree on this point....

> The Rules of Evidence have been developed and refined over many
> centuries.  The purpose of these rules is to insure a fair trial.  When
> an attorney or in this case the Logos team intentionally violates the
> rules they are cheating not only the system but the person(s) on trial.
> Again, such intentionally dishonest practice of asking disallowable
> questions is unethical and unscrupulous and results in an unfair trial.

> I hope, Don, et al, that we can agree that in all cases a fair trial
> is a most important goal.

Yes indeed.

Let me share my top current concern for justice in the U.S.:

The UI grad student whose trial will begin in Boise soon for supporting
terrorism will be offered a choice: go home on a technicality or we will
make your life more of a hell than we already have. (His family already
has been forced to leave this country.) The technicality will be (will
be said to be) that some of the "evidence" against him cannot be
revealed because it would threaten this nation's security.

So we will have one person's life pretty much ruined for what may be
petty political reasons.

I do not know that the UI grad student is blameless and portions of the
federal justice system are rotten, but I am suspicious. I look forward
to finding a way to reestablish my faith in the justice system. It would
help if we could get beyond John Ashcroft.

Don Coombs