[Vision2020] Case closed: Future lawyers in training -- Moscow school wins mock trial competition against Bishop Kelly

thansen@moscow.com thansen@moscow.com
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 20:43:06 GMT

Recommendaiton:  See the movie "And Justice for All" starring Al Pacino.

It pretty much reflects my attitude toward our court system (notice that I
said "court" system and not "justice" system).

Our justice system is geared toward attaining justice.  Our court system is
geared toward winning.  If we are fortunate, sometimes justice is a side effect
of our court system.  Defense counsels go to court with one goal in mind, "Win
this for the client."  Whether or not the client is guilty is insignificant.
The more notches under the "W" column, the better for the attorney of record.

Sure.  It would be nice if all attorneys put their cards on the table face up
after the "game" is over.  But after the last card is played, all we do is
count our winnings (those that we are entitled to and the "others").

It is all a matter of winning.

But then, isn't life?

Tom

           http://www.fsr.net/