[Vision2020] Iraq - What is to be done?

Tom Hansen thansen@moscow.com
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 20:01:37 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C41B48.CDD155A0

Concerning casualties of friendly fire -

During Vietnam, friendly fire resulted in the loss of many troops over that
ten-year span.  The cause of friendly fire has been attributed to everything
from faulty weapon systems to faulty intelligence.  It can also be
attributed to a soldier's mental accuity playing tricks on him.

People seem to believe that with all this advanced weapons technology,
casualties as a result of friendly fire should be drastically reduced.  That
simply is not true.  As long as it takes a human finger to pull the trigger,
there will always be casualties by friendly fire (unfortunately).  As long
as there are commanders in the field pushing their troops 110% of the way,
misjudgements occur.  These commanders are partly to blame.  When troops are
pushed to the extent that they are beyond reach of their support units,
accidents happen to eigher the combat units or the support units.  Such was
the case with Jessica Lynch's unit in Iraq.

All the technology in the world will not prevent a poor decision that may
cause unnecessary loss of life.  We simply must examine and evaluate all
possibilities before we take that step that puts us in harm's way.
Decisions made in the comfort of the Pentagon War Room many times possess
the privilege of time.  That private, corporal, or sergeant entering a
village with intelligence he hopes is correct lacks that privilege.

Let's get out now.

Take care,

Tom Hansen
SFC, U.S. Army (Retired)

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime."
--Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.