[Vision2020] Fee Parking??

amy smoucha asmoucha@hotmail.com
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:32:16 -0500

I am fairly new to Moscow, and the Market is one of the best and most
vibrant parts of the community.  I think moving it to Main Street is a good
idea.  For one thing, there may be more vendor spots.  There are a lot of
people with excellent local products and crafts who can't compete for the
limited spots available.  As it is, potential vendors without a yearly spot
must arrive in the middle of the night to get in line for the extra spots
available.  We are very, very lucky to have a Farmers Market with plenty of
both vendors and customers, and I hope this community jumps at the chance to
have this resource grow.  In addition, the foot traffic on Main Street may
bring more market shoppers into downtown storefronts.  I know a lot of
people who travel from Pullman, the Valley and other towns to come to our
market.

In terms of parking, I think we have to think realistically and flexibly.
In town centers it is not unusual to have to walk a few blocks to enjoy a
market or restaurant.  I think we have to make sure there is parking for
people with disabilities or folks less mobile, but closing off a couple of
blocks of Main Street certainly will not eliminate parking or make the area
impossible to enjoy.

As a small community, we are lucky to have the challenge of a Farmers Market
that is growing beyond its space!

Amy Smoucha