[Vision2020] Global Warming

Scott Dredge sdredge@yahoo.com
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:02:34 -0700 (PDT)

I heard the one about the volcanic eruptions as well.
I'm not convinced yet about warming/cooling cycles of
the planet.  The warming one is easy enough for me to
believe since we have a constant energy source beaming
down on us.  But what about the cooling cycle?  What
events occur to cool down the planet?  A while ago I
read about a theory that the last ice age was caused
by a large meteor that struck off the coast of the
Yucatan peninsula which triggered a series of volcanic
eruptions that resulted in the atmosphere being filled
with smoke/ash/dirt and essentially encompassing the
planet in near darkness for 6 months which resulted in
a nuclear winter.  It sounds plausable to me that this
type of event would cool down the planet and also
wreak havoc with the eco system - including wiping out
the dinosaurs.

-Scott