[Vision2020] traffic woes

Ben Twigg bentwigg@yahoo.com
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:30:33 -0700 (PDT)

Visionaries,

Luke writes:

If everyone decides to go downtown, four people
minimum can fit into their friends' vehicles, making
for 5,000+ vehicles. If everyone must get their own
bike, then that means that for everyone in Moscow to
go downtown on a short errand together, there would be
20,000 bikes!

Ben responds:

Although the idea of riding down Main Street with
19,999 other bikers isn't very appealing, it does
sound a lot better than driving and competing with
4,999 other cars. Consider that the average bike
occupies a fraction of the road space, is much more
navigable, weighs perhaps 1% of a car (thus limiting
damage caused by collisions), and produces 0% of the
pollutants of a car (unless, of course, the rider's
sweat and body odor are taken into account).

Donovan writes:

The other obvious limitation on a bike is storage
space. How are people suppose to carry a months worth
of groceries on a bike?

Ben responds:

There are several bike trailers with plenty of cargo
space that can be purchased new for $200-$300. This
sounds expensive, but pales in comparison to the costs
of purchasing, operating, maintaining, and repairing a
car. Of course, a bike trailer doesn't meet the needs
of everyone, but it can be a very practical option.

On a personal note, I have been extremely happy with
my BOB Yak bike trailer. I have discovered that a
bike-and-trailer assembly works perfectly well for
running all sorts of errands around town, and I am
seriously considering abandoning my car. Then again,
my bike and accessories are worth more than my car...

Sincerely,

Ben Twigg