[Vision2020] traffic woes

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 20:11:53 +0000

Donovan et. al.

Umm, are we communicating here?  Read what I wrote below again.  I included
the idea of restructuring Moscow streets as a suggestion for dealing with
the traffic problem.  I gave a list of possible solutions, of which you
addressed only a few.

Your solution is no solution at all if the goal is reducing the number of
vehicles on Moscow streets, but rather just a more efficient way of
accommodating an increasing number of vehicles.

There are the problems created by the number of vehicles creating traffic
congestion and an environment unfriendly to walking and biking while
degrading the aesthetic environment.  The pollution issue is also a concern.
  Pollution could be reduced with electric or hybrid or fuel cell cars,
though there would still be the traffic congestion and other negative
impacts, though less pollution would reduce that one negative impact on
people in high traffic areas.

Biking is not as difficult in Moscow as you make it sound, though now with
the increased traffic etc. it is more problematic than it once was.    I
have used a bike off and on all year round in Moscow with little difficulty,
of course not on days with bad weather.  Part of the reason to encourage
biking is also the exercise and health gained.  It also creates a more
friendly community environment to have people riding bikes rather than
driving polluting traffic congesting cars.

I don't think I need to quote statistics to state correctly that Moscow has
more traffic flow now than it had years ago with thousands of new residents
in the city limits.  Are you serious about questioning an increase in amount
of traffic?  Do you really think Moscow has not seen an increase in traffic
in the past 5, 10 or 20 years?

Anyways, read my last paragraph below, where I suggest a traffic plan is not
the solution, but rather a change in the mindset of people, a change I
highly doubt will happen.

Ted

http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es