[Vision2020] Does anyone know who Tom Drake is?

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam@hotmail.com
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:28:12 -0800

<P>Oh, that rascally Evolutionary Theory, disguising itself by using the word 'Theory' in its name,&nbsp;so that fools like Tom Drake will try to argue that it isn't in fact 'Dogma.'&nbsp; And it (Evolutionary Theory) would have gotten away with it too if Dale hadn't pointed out how Drake had made a fool - no, wait, that's 'complete fool' - of himself in 'the DN editorial.'</P>
<P>I myself thought he had written 'a letter,' but then I was totally hoodwinked by this dastardly and mysterious Drake, if that's his real name, and am therefore somewhat suspect and unreliable.&nbsp; </P>
<P>Yep, I bet Tom Drake's powder is now dampened by his tears, after being exposed in such large font.&nbsp; See if he ever dares use anything but the first dictionary definition of a word again.&nbsp; If I see him using the word 'plume,' he'd better be referring to a feather, and not a rising or expanding body of smoke. (Newly Revised and Updated Random House Webster's College Dictionary with red cover.)</P>
<P>Sunil</P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "Dale Courtney" <DMCOURTN@MOSCOW.COM>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: <VISION2020@MOSCOW.COM>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: [Vision2020] Does anyone know who Tom Drake is?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:43:17 -0800
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Does anyone know who Tom Drake is? He made a complete fool out of himself today in the DN editorial. He wrote:
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;"Evolutionary theory is no more a dogma, ideology or a worldview than is Newtonian physics. Neither theory tells one how to live or attempts to address moral issues. Scientific theories attempt to explain past and present natural phenomena based on existing physical evidence. Science explains what is and was, not what should be."
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Webster's primary definition of "dogma" is "something held as an established opinion; especially : a definite authoritative tenet." If the theory of evolution doesn't fall into that category, I don't know what does! A secondary definition of dogma is "a doctrine or body of doctrines concerning faith or morals formally stated and authoritatively proclaimed by a church." It's pretty ridiculous to castigate someone for using the primary meaning of a word.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Perhaps before he goes shooting in public, he should ensure that his powder isn't all wet? Or at least check his dictionary before writing publicly?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Best,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Dale