[Vision2020] Journalistic integrity

Greg Burton gburton@sltrib.com
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:05:50 -0700

  I have been reading this thread, albeit probably only the bottom half,
with some bemusement. So, I pulled up the Spokesman web copy of the article
by daily news scribe Alexis Bacharach. The web version may differ from the
print version, or even the version that ran in the DNews because different
editors often make changes later, even from versions shipped whole over the
AP news wire.

  That being said, the web version today says "the Christ Church-sponsored
conference in February during which the authors will discuss history and
slavery." That's not the exact quote Doug W. writes below. And it makes a
clear distinction. The Spokesman web version of the DNews story also conveys
the idea that Sanchez believes Wilson and Wilkins "seek to provide a
biblical defense of slavery" in their book, not that they will do so at the
"History Conference." Another important distinction.
  My question is will Wilson and Wilkins discuss slavery or will they not?
  If so, the article is accurate in my mind. Many times, too, a journalist
will get a tip about something, examine the veracity and go with the
information if they can confirm it elsewhere. Maybe that happened in this
instance. If not, there should be a simple correction or clarification.
  Further, the "journalistic integrity" slug to this thread is a red
herring. The New York Times incident was about integrity and ethics, this
seems more like quibbling.

cheers, greg burton